Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mensa and the LSAT  (Read 2344 times)

dta

Mensa and the LSAT
« on: March 23, 2004, 01:59:03 AM »
I was surfing around the internet a bit yesterday and I came across the Mensa website and was looking at the various IQ tests they accept as qualifying tests for membership. And lo!, there was the LSAT listed among the tests! I don't remember the exact score - i think it was in the upper 160's, but if you get a good enough score on the LSAT that will automatically get you into Mensa.

Just thought that was a bit interesting.

Yellow Snow

• View Profile
Re: Mensa and the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 04:45:51 PM »
So I can get into Mensa but I can't get a decision from Hastings? Blah.

I checked out the website, the cutoff is 163.

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:13:24 PM »
yippie!  I knew there was a way to sneak into Mensa...I doubt I could ace an IQ test, but my LSAT score makes me golden!

dta

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 11:31:56 PM »
yeah - what i find interesting is that Mensa requires that you score in the top 2% of any given IQ test they accept in order to qualify for membership. However, with the LSAT (one of the few non-IQ tests they accept) you only need a 164 which only puts you in the top 10%. The way I figure this is that they must assume that only a higher caliber of mind attempts to take the LSAT in the first place. I dunno. Otherwise, i'm not sure how to explain why they accept such a low score on the LSAT as "look at me ma! i'm a genius" proof.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 11:12:53 AM »
I qualified for Mensa years ago through my armed forces apptitude score.  I think it was in the top 1%. 

My LSAT is 155.

Not even close to the top 1%.  Some of the tests they accept are questionable particularly the armed forces test.  I took the thing seven times.  The questions were all very similar.  It's been 30 years and I can still remember the questions about the parts of an internal combustion engine.  It was a knowledge test.  Not an 'IQ' test.  I remember describing a part from the engine diagram to my father after I took it the first time.  In subsequent tests, the same part was in questions and I got those questions right.

IQ?  I don't think so.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 04:04:47 PM »
There are a bunch of them they will accept... full on institutional IQ tests, SAT and ACT scores, I think the reason they accept a 90%ile on the LSAT is that the assumption is that those who sit for the lsat are the top 20% of the population intelligence wise anyway...  So if you are upper 10%ile on the lsat, likely you are top 2% in IQ....

Who knows if its true, hell, I qualify for mensa a couple of different ways, but what is the point?  Lets all sit around and brag about how smart we are... wont we already be doing that in law school?

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 04:34:32 PM »
Mensa is for assholes.

hajima

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 04:54:57 PM »
Mensa is not for assholes.
I am a Mensan.
I got 156 which is the top 1% on the Raven's Progressive Matrices test.
Most folks in Mensa does not think they are geniuses,
and Mensa itself does not state that it is a community for "geniuses" or "the gifted."
Mensans are aware of that Mensa is just a "high IQ society."
They also are aware of the most of the IQ tests have not much predictive validity.
People with high "scores" in IQ tests, nothing else.
Mensa is not for self-esteem. I am in Mensa just because I like to meet people.
There are a bunch of societies out there require much high IQ scores.
For example, Mega Society(http://www.megasociety.net) requires top 0.1% IQ (IQ 175 in LAIT).

dta

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 06:57:50 PM »
Actually, I don't think Mensa accepts SAT, ACT, or vaious military tests taken after a particular date. They "grandfather" in applicability if you took the test before a certain date because they used to accept these tests, but they no longer do. One of the few non-IQ tests they still continue to take is the LSAT.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 07:15:07 PM »
heh, what if someone decides to apply with a 164?  their requirememt is a 163... but 164 is 92nd percentile... i wonder if the person would get rejected... just another way for Mensa to make some easy bucks off the non-refundable application fee :)