Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much $ for living expenses?  (Read 3074 times)

ruskiegirl

Re: How much $ for living expenses?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »
I'm going to Berkeley.  The problem is that out in California, that budget will buy me a cardboard box and a steady supply of Ramen noodles.

thechoson

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 03:08:30 PM »
Almost 500 a month for FOOD?!!! Dang.  The way some of these schools have it set up is weird.  For example, I know USD gives only about half that for food, and less for rent.  But USD gives twice what CAL does for transportation.  So I guess it all evens out.  BUt dang, 500 for FOOD?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 03:16:44 PM »
What can I say? I'm a growing girl.  I need 500 a month for all that sushi I eat.

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 05:59:56 PM »
Hey Ruskiegirl,

Slow down on buying $500 worth of groceries!  It's not 500/month for food you're talking about $500/month for the board part of room and board right (food and utilities etc).  I'm trying to figure my stuff out so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong...your message is about to send me back to the ole spreadsheet for more calculations.

thechoson

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 06:02:26 PM »
I am SURE she's aware of this.  She did get into Boalt, you know.  ;)

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 06:04:36 PM »
Ok...really just checking for myself.  I wasn't sure if utilities were supposed to come out of the rent figure.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2004, 07:00:56 PM »
I am SURE she's aware of this.  She did get into Boalt, you know.  ;)

Oh shoot... I didn't know board included utilities... guess that's why I didn't get into Boalt. ;)

ruskiegirl

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 08:00:27 PM »
I just quoted the budged numbers that Boalt has given me.  Even with my glutonous tendencies, I doubt I will eat $500 worth of food a month. I will probably borrow a little less than that.

And, yes, utilities are a part of the rent figure.

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2004, 09:53:04 PM »
Im going to have to borrow the max 18,500 x 2, my wife and I will both be full time students.  She is in her last year of Pharmacy school and we have borrowed the max each year for her.  Hopefully she can take care of me for my last 2 years so we wont have to go to much higher than 150 k in loans. 

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2004, 05:03:28 AM »
How on earth do some of the schools expect you to support yourself on the budgets they give you???  I just got my fin. aid package for CU.  Boulder is a ton more expensive to live in than Denver (where I plan on living) and I will barely be able to get raman in Denver!!!  They figure (from what I was able to calculate) about $1000 a month total.  Between rent, phone, heat (which unfortunately in Colorado you actually need), etc, leaves about 400 for all your other things (including health insurance) a month. Figure health insurance is at least 100 a month, and you got 300 extra a month to use for food, clothes, laundry, and a ton of other little bills (things I know I spend money such as doctor's visits, prescriptions, etc).