Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much $ for living expenses?  (Read 3266 times)

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
How much $ for living expenses?
« on: March 22, 2004, 09:53:33 PM »
How much money is everyone borrowing for living expenses for your first year?  I know it will depend on your location, but I'm curious.

dunnolaw

• View Profile
Re: How much $ for living expenses?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 01:49:23 AM »
I will borrow up to what the university designates is the budget maximum.  The budget that the university gives each year does not include credit card debt or those other expeditures you incur that are specific to you.  What I found when I went to grad school the first time is that I can cut back in some areas (ie room & board) and reallocate those funds to other areas (ie monthly drinking/fun).  You are allowed to petition for more funds or an increased budget but that basically means that you need more money than what the average student at that university has needed in the history of that university.  I dont feel comfortable saying that to myself.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 07:05:35 PM »
I'm taking out the maximum and then some (hopefully).  Although the budget they give works for the "average" student, it doesn't take into account a lot of circumstances.  For instance, although the schools I've looked at offer insurance, the insurance isn't that great.  I'm guessing that insurance and medicene alone will costs about 300 a month above and beyond their "average" student budget.  Of course, this is only my rough estimates for myself, but being that I can't be without insurance because of several health problems I currently have, I'm stuck paying that amount and hoping that I can get enough money to cover it. 

Also, looking at the schools I've applied to, they don't take into account car payments, car insurance, credit card debt, etc that some people have to have.  The budgets I've seen are really stingy - no more starbucks, much less car :-P

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 04:16:01 AM »
When I was in school the first time, the school refused change budgets for credit card debt..(something about refinancing unsecured debt--yahda yahda yahda).  I dont know if that was just my school, but it's something you should investigate with the school of your choice.  You are right insurance on campuses is horrible!

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 04:16:31 PM »
I doubt most schools will negotiate on credit card charges.  However things like insurance, medicine, etc they probably will.  Last thing they need is a student dropping in the middle of class :-)

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 11:40:46 PM »
i know what you mean schoomp! (lol) i fortunately don't have any credit card debt or a car payment (although i do have insurance to pay for on my truck), but the only thing i have to worry about is racking up more loan debt if that happens.  :P 

but if i could, honestly speaking, i would actually try to get in w/a firm in the city i wanted to go to school and practice in and then after being w/that company for however long it took, take advantage of a tuition reimbursement program and do part-time studies at night or even daytime if they allowed it. i know it sounds like a long-shot idea, but for me, it's a more plausible way to get thru school and not have the $1000+ loan payment every month. ugh. :p

of course if that isn't possible, lol, i'd just try and get as much debt cleared away by working this next year while i'm applying and hope that enough is gone by the time i start next year if i'm accepted where i'd like to go.

i come from a family of $$ conscious people...what can i say. lol i love'em anyway. ;)

aj

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 11:11:30 PM »
That's what I've been doing the last year!  I've got my car almost paid off (really, really close).  I've never had cc debt so I'm clear there.  And I had been saving up money for the first year when I couldn't work.  I'd love to keep working but since my job is going bye-bye, don't have that choice anymore.  Oh well, it is only 3 years and maybe I'll meet someone rich in school :-P  Of course, my BF might be a little pissed at that  ;D

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 11:44:25 PM »
The insurance offered by schools is usually terrible. I would recommend Fortis Health by State Farm. It costs about $200/six months, varying per person. It's not a health plan, though. This means it won't cover regular doctor visits or out-patient prescriptions. What does cover, however, is up to $1 million dollars in case of a serious emergency or surgeries.

I know that no one expects to get into a DUI accident or find out that they have cancer and their health plan only covers up to $100,000. Since it's not that expensive, I would definitely get this. Needless to say, I also have a regular health plan to cover the flu shots and stuff like that.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 12:32:36 AM »
8,800/9 mths for rent
4,520/9 mths for food
2,838/9 mths for personal (God, I have to kick my shopping addiction!)
1,310/9 mths for transportation

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :'(

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 01:56:19 AM »
I don't know where you are going ruskiegirl, but i would love to have that much money my first year!!! the budget my school looks at is a lot less than that