Law School Discussion

what the hell do you do with a psychology degree anyway?

BAFF213

Re: what the hell do you do with a psychology degree anyway?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 08:58:45 PM »
I just graduated with my MS in psychology and there are a lot of different things to do in psychology,

what schools offer a terminal MS in psych?  i have yet to come across any.
Many grad students will simply leave a PhD program after completing their MS.

So I've heard.  Is it unethical to apply for an MS in Psych at one of these schools, knowing that you'll be leaving.  I'm less worried about the ethics of it than I am worried that I'll be like, "OK, can I have my MS now?" and they'll be like, "No what are you talking about".  How can you be sure that you will, in fact, get your MS?  And how long does it take to get your MS?

murpheys_law

• midwesterner ready for the coast
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 08:36:35 AM »
I didn't know if you were interested in incorporating psychology and law, but you might be interested in this site.

http://www.unl.edu/ap-ls/careers.htm#intro

egg

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 03:48:42 PM »
Being a research associate sounds good, but EGG if you are still there- where does one find a graduate advisor if one isn?t in graduate school?

You wouldn't- that person would just be your boss. A faculty member can be both graduate advisor to a graduate student (who has more intellectual responsibility and less pay) AND a boss to a research associate who executes tasks for them (less intellectual responsibility and more pay).

Somebody looking for a graduate advisor (i.e., applying to graduate school) reads up in the field to see where faculty members doing relevant research are working, then applies there. But you want a boss, so you just need to know who's hiring locally. Try the job bulletin at your nearby uni. (usually linked from university homepages) and search for 'psychology', or titles like 'research assistant' or sometimes 'research associate'. Then you can see who's hiring and whether they're doing something that you might like to be part of.

Might prove fruitful, might not. It's a place to start, though.

Good luck!