Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How the hell did they get in there  (Read 4298 times)

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
How the hell did they get in there
« on: March 22, 2004, 05:37:08 PM »
I am checking lawschoolnumbers.com and there are some people that got into yale and harvard with, well, impossible numbers. so, someone please tell me how do they do that? you know, i still have time for law school, i can try to get those credentials...
here
check http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=nikegirl05 and http://lawschoolnumbers.com/viewschool2.php

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How the hell did they get in there
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 05:40:05 PM »
One of two ways....

URM

got those numbers despite being blind, having cancer or otherwise  overcoming a potentially terminal illness.

Or she has a picture of the dean of admissions blowing a goat. :)

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 05:43:18 PM »
well, as someone who doesn't have stellar lsat scores (but my gpa are pretty high), i have to say that it's not all in the numbers.  some people have personal hardships that they've gone through in life.  some also have a long resume, or amazing work experience.  after all, law schools try to have the best classes every year--but not just in terms of high gpas and high lsats.  people with different experiences in life bring different things to law schools.  i think it's quite unfair to say that one person doesn't deserve to go to one school or the other simply because their numbers just doesn't fit the norm.  the admission department at these top schools know what they're doing--for the most part.   

asides from strong personal statements or personal hardships, they could also be legacies. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 05:46:50 PM »
Or she has a picture of the dean of admissions blowing a goat.    :o

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 05:48:38 PM »
Or she has a picture of the dean of admissions blowing a goat.    :o

or that too!  ;)

besides, i would take www.lawschoolnumbers.com with a grain of salt.  i'm sure some people put horribly false information in there. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 07:03:46 PM »
I agree with you 100% on everything, Cal...I have often wondered if some of those people were lying, as well. For example, I think some (not all) of these "URMS" are bitter non-URMs...no offense...but I really wouldn't put it past some of those people who post on the PR boards to do something like that. Like there was one person--I think they were supposed to be Black--who was listed that allegedly got into Northwestern with a 150 LSAT...I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that one, though there could probably be amazing outlying factors...but still...since I don't see that under Northwestern anymore, that makes me believe that person was lying even more.

In terms of Nikegirl, I saw her profile for the first time while I was in Chicago a couple weeks ago...I figure she could be an URM, lying or has some kick-@ss story, work experience or something...plus the fact she's from a top 10 school. Now, if she were Black, went to a top 10 undergrad and got a 165 (a score that, from what I've seen and read, is high for African Americans--again, no offense...check lsnumbers and see that the avg African Americans applying to those kinds of schools probably avg about a 160, and I'm holding an article in my hands right now from the "Emory Lawyer" that cites the avg LSAT score for AA's as a 142 in comparison to a 152 for Whites), I can see her getting into those schools, especially if she has an amazing story/hard major. I think this is the most likely scenario.

Still, she could be a legacy--as well or solely--or, before Aonghus repeats himself, she's got an incriminating picture of the Dean of Admissions.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 07:55:45 PM »
hmmmm, right! no offense Maybe you need to re-look up what offensive means in the dictionary m'kay?
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 08:14:12 PM »
what is URM?

barry_schmotz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 08:43:24 PM »
edit:  Wow, I said some racially and culturally unacceptable things in here.  I think it would be best to delete them.  Oh no.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 09:46:11 PM »
URM =  UNDER REPRESENTED MINORITY

or she could have had pictures of the dean of admisssions blowing a goat!

:o