Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important is your law school  (Read 4313 times)

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How important is your law school
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2004, 11:23:45 PM »
I am way not smart enough to explain this, but I also think it has something to do with our system of laws and our legal system.  Kind of hard to outsource legal jobs.

Well for one thing, the American legal system is based on precedent, so it would sort of be important that the players in it have some sort of invested interest in the welfare of American justice.  Not to say that it's not possible, but I would question a foreigner's interest and commitment to the U.S. if they don't have something invested here (like a home).

thechoson

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »
I also think it's passion about the law.  I mean sorry for being overtly idealistic, but I do have a lot of faith and respect for the legal system of the United States, having lived here and having learned about it from a young age.  It is something worth learning practicing, and defending.  And yes, I honestly would question a foreigner's committment and belief to this legal system

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2004, 11:33:59 PM »
I disagree about the investment part. If someone in India is working for a large employment law firm representing american employers, I think that person would have something invested in preserving and/or bettering the american legal system: a job.

I think that part of the discrepancies in our arguments stem from the fact that we are generalizing the term "legal jobs". Some, I agree, are completely safe from outsourcing, some aren't, and some are part of large multinational corporations and firms that blur the boundaries. It's the latter that is the loophole. When you have a firm that has offices in NYC, Hong Kong and Sydney, the attorneys employed with that firm can and often do represent clients, directly or indirectly, in multiple countries. Same thing with the big publishing houses such as West and Lexis. What's to stop them from having attorneys editing the code of small-town USA in Brazil? Does that mean that the people of small-town USA want their code produced there? Do they even know?
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

jgruber

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2004, 06:22:53 PM »
Frankly, I suspect that many American lawyers have little interest in bettering the legal system.  Preserving it, yes.  Bettering it, no.

I disagree about the investment part. If someone in India is working for a large employment law firm representing american employers, I think that person would have something invested in preserving and/or bettering the american legal system: a job.