Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: high LSAT mediocre GPA  (Read 20549 times)

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: high LSAT mediocre GPA
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 07:16:06 AM »
It will probably give you some kind of boost
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 10:35:34 AM »
It's funny, we really don't obsess about numbers in Canada like you guys do in the States.

Thank God for small favours 8)

Anybody know any good Candian law schools?  I need all the help I can get...
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

jamesfh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 12:31:47 PM »
I graduated with a 2.75 GPA in computer engineering; the average GPA of a graduate with this major at my school was a 2.3. I got a 171 on the LSAT. Do I have a good chance getting into an average law school such as Alabama, where they regularly admit people with mid 150s on the LSAT? What is the best law school(s) I could probably get into to?

Kisser

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 04:57:23 PM »
Quite frankly who gives a *&^%! Smith is a better school anyway and your scores are not that bad you idiot there are people who are in a worse boat than you so stop complaining.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004, 04:40:18 AM »
LSAT is not nearly as important in Canada due to the fact that we have more stringent undergrad schools with much lower averages.  Grade inflation is not a serious issue here. Thus, the LSAT is weighed anywhere from 70% from U of A to 20% from York (if you have a 4 year undergrad under your belt). 

At many universities in Canada a low GPA will keep you out unless you have a 99% LSAT score. 

Matt

superiorlobe

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 08:46:08 AM »
I graduated with a 2.75 GPA in computer engineering; the average GPA of a graduate with this major at my school was a 2.3. I got a 171 on the LSAT. Do I have a good chance getting into an average law school such as Alabama, where they regularly admit people with mid 150s on the LSAT? What is the best law school(s) I could probably get into to?

I think you have a chance at a top 25 school.  Just write an addendum explaining that the average GPA for your major was a 2.3.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 09:06:32 AM »
The reason why most schools favor the LSAT more is that everyone took the same LSAT (or rather it was made by the same people) but colleges differ greatly.  This is also why splits have unpredictable outcomes.  Many schools see splits as smart people who are lazy (high LSAT low GPA) or Slow people who can study (high GPA low LSAT, slow because the LSAT is so heavily timed). 

I'm a split (169, 3.2) and it sucks.  Hopefully being a farm boy will help me look less lazy.  The best bet for splits is to apply to an insane amount of schools.  I'm stupid though so I only applied to three.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2004, 10:13:44 PM »
BTW,

Both of those sets of numbers 3.8, 160 and 3.1 170 would get you in the top tier, but the 170 has a chance to get into much better schools inside the top 25.

I agree, getting a 170 with a low GPA can sometimes be much better than a high GPA with low LSAT.  My friend had a 170/2.9 last year and got into UPENN!  So it does happen. 

I have a 2.86 with a 172 LSAT average.  Penn is my top choice.  Your friend is my new hero.  Thanks!  This post made my night... There is hope for me yet.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2004, 10:16:27 PM »
im praying for any top 14. this thread gives me a little bit of hope, but im not getting excited yet.

NYKnicks

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2004, 10:18:17 PM »
Lets continue the 2.9/174 string.

I pray every night for the adcoms to smoke crack and let me in.