Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: annoying proctors  (Read 3936 times)

Natasha

• View Profile
annoying proctors
« on: October 05, 2004, 05:18:44 PM »
My proctors were so annoying. They spent the first half of the test flipping through pages and shuffling around in the fron of the class. Did anyone else have this problem? It made it impossible to concentrate, and my mind just went blank. I thought they were suppose to sit there quietly and not do anything, that is what they do at the GMAT.

caffeine and nicotine addict

• Sr. Citizen
  • Stay back - This is MY piss-pot!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tchnav
    • View Profile
    • Third Tier Toilet
Re: annoying proctors
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 07:19:34 PM »
I understand what you're saying about the quality of the proctors. Our proctors were just the opposite though - too quiet! They gave us no 5 minute warning before the end of one of the LR sections. It's not like they had alot to do. Just sit there and watch the clock...
In at GULC PT/ED - WooHoo!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »
If flipping through pages was enough to distract you, then I don't think it was the proctors' problem.  Perhaps your concentration was an issue.  You should be able to focus through a reasonable amount of distractions (ie paper shuffling, some movement at the front).  It seems unfair to female dog about proctors when you had unrealistic expectations about the testing environment.

My proctors were so annoying. They spent the first half of the test flipping through pages and shuffling around in the fron of the class. Did anyone else have this problem? It made it impossible to concentrate, and my mind just went blank. I thought they were suppose to sit there quietly and not do anything, that is what they do at the GMAT.

WildChic

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornelius
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Wildcat29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 08:46:04 PM »
The proctors in my room kept going in and out of the room and the door was really loud every time they opened and shut it. I don't see the reason for them to be going in and out. And if they really had to leave the room they could have at least shut the door quietly.

murpheys_law

• midwesterner ready for the coast
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:39:21 AM »
Anyone who has concerns about being distracted should think about using earplugs when taking the test.  You should also practice using those because that can be distracting itself.  Try taking practice tests in public places where your concentration will be challenged.  I agree that it is unrealistic to think that there won't be any distractions.  There is always the person with a cold, the nervous person next to you erasing fanatically, or any other annoyances.
GPA:  3.72
LSAT: TBA

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 12:11:54 PM »
Too bad they forbid the use of earplugs on the test, and they'll most likely be taken away.

And honestly, if you can't focus with normal levels of background noice, then it's somethign that you should work on *before* the test by taking prep exams in coffee shops, libraries, bookstores, etc.

I never understood either why people would use earplugs and risk missing the "stop working" at the end of sections.  Is wearing ear plugs getting worth getting your exam taken away?

WildChic

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornelius
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Wildcat29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 12:39:27 PM »
Too bad they forbid the use of earplugs on the test, and they'll most likely be taken away.

And honestly, if you can't focus with normal levels of background noice, then it's somethign that you should work on *before* the test by taking prep exams in coffee shops, libraries, bookstores, etc.

I never understood either why people would use earplugs and risk missing the "stop working" at the end of sections.  Is wearing ear plugs getting worth getting your exam taken away?

Most people use a timer, so I think they would know when to stop working even with ear plugs. Not everyone is able focus that well, but that doesn't mean they're not good enough to go to law school. I also understand that you need to have a certain level of concentration during the test, if someone is franticaly erasing next to you, you should be able to focus. However, I think that when the proctor slams the door multiple times during the exam, that's a little too extreme. Its an exam, not a circus, people expect that the proctors aren't going to make it harder to concentrate during the test.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 01:22:49 PM »
Slamming the door is one thing, and I actually would have complained to the proctors about going in and out.  But the original post was about the basic noise level and shuffling papers, which is unrealistic.

And you can use a timer all you want, but that doesn't mean the proctor's time will match up with yours.  There are countless stories to be found where people where shorted anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

And *none* of this changes the fact that ear plugs are not allowed.  (says so on the back of your lsat admissions ticket in the big list prohibited items.)

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 01:39:56 PM »
I did practice with background noise, I have two houses being built right next door, so I have this constant pounding noise in the background, not to mention the fact that my dogs barked contantly, and my dad always has stupid talk radio on. But this wasn't basic noise, but whatever I don't care to explain/defend my feelings to you.

As for the timer thing, I noticed that with my proctors too. I know we started them at different times but mine always had all this time left when she called time.

FSF17

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 02:07:40 PM »
The room I took it in had a keypad you had to use to get in, so when the proctor left to crap or something, he had to type in like 70 numbers to get back in, and each one beeped. Plus he looked like Reuben Studdard...