Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA or NYU???  (Read 1182 times)

thetoughestdecision

• View Profile
UCLA or NYU???
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
Hey everyone, I am a first time poster and am in need of some quick advice!

I'm currently trying to decide between UCLA w/ significant $$$ or NYU with nothing.  I much prefer being in SoCal to NY, and after visiting UCLA I feel I would fit in really well there. It is an outstanding school that is only on the rise, with really dedicated faculty and a great alumni mentor program. Plus, I'm thinking at this point I may want to go into Entertainment law, although I am not certain.

I really want to be able to choose UCLA over NYU, but the only thing that is really preventing me from pulling the trigger at this point is the difference in rank. Is the difference between 5 and 15/16 so incredibly significant, especially in job prospects and clerkship opportunities, that it justifies picking a school that is not where I want to be with a lot more loans?

PLEASE help me sort this out.

Thanks

spanktheduck

• View Profile
Re: UCLA or NYU???
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045

That shows that hiring of the 250 NLJ from the law schools. (generally biglaw) Take from this what you will and how it fits into what you want.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »
NYU--> you get the entertainment law aspect in the big city, plus better job prospects

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:12:13 PM »
I really want to be able to choose UCLA over NYU, but the only thing that is really preventing me from pulling the trigger at this point is the difference in rank. Is the difference between 5 and 15/16 so incredibly significant, especially in job prospects and clerkship opportunities, that it justifies picking a school that is not where I want to be with a lot more loans?

no.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »

no.

Actually, I kind of think it is. 

What kind of money are we talking about OP?  If it's not a full ride or close to it, I heavily favor NYU in this contest.

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 03:19:59 PM »
well, when i see three dollar signs i assume it's close to a free ride. ;) but what cinched it for me was him saying nyu was "not where he wanted to be."  really, everything this guy is saying tells me that he really wants to go to ucla.  if he loves california and intends to stay there the difference in job prospects will be minimal, won't it?

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »
well, when i see three dollar signs i assume it's close to a free ride. ;) but what cinched it for me was him saying nyu was "not where he wanted to be."  really, everything this guy is saying tells me that he really wants to go to ucla.  if he loves california and intends to stay there the difference in job prospects will be minimal, won't it?

Actually, no.  I think of the difference in job prospects as pretty significant. 

And I think of four dollar signs as approaching free ride.  ???

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 03:24:55 PM »
okay, so nyu places better in LA than even UCLA does?  really?  i'm not being bellicose, i just find it hard to believe that nyu has that much reach. 

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »
okay, so nyu places better in LA than even UCLA does?  really?  i'm not being bellicose, i just find it hard to believe that nyu has that much reach. 

Maybe I'm showing my New York biases a little bit, but I truly believe that the median NYU student will have far better opportunities, even in LA, than will the median UCLA student.  And we haven't even started talking about the clerkship gap.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 03:36:56 PM »

Maybe I'm showing my New York biases a little bit, but I truly believe that the median NYU student will have far better opportunities, even in LA, than will the median UCLA student.  And we haven't even started talking about the clerkship gap.

Yeah, in fairness, OP did mention clerkships, and there is certainly a gap there.

I think that NYU students who want to work in L.A. may also benefit from the fact that they are a relatively rare commodity, while many or most UCLA students are looking to stay out here.

I don't think that means the OP should definitely go to NYU. Just my two cents.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.