Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: -  (Read 2221 times)

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: How competitive are public interest jobs to obtain?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 09:02:07 AM »
Oh my gosh yes. Public defender to start and then, hopefully, death penalty appeals. I am not interested in BigLaw at all, so much of the discussion about schools is useless to me.
I think there should be a Public Interest Board. We need to know a lot of things that never get addressed.

Hey sweet, we share the exact same career goals. Have you already decided where you're going vjm?

Totally anecdotal based on talking with attorneys at my job, but I've heard that most PI jobs are difficult to get. Getting a PD job in a big city is very hard as is getting a position at a high profile non-profit. But there are jobs that are easier to get if you're willing to work in a small town, etc.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 02:23:57 PM »
Cool! I can never understand why everybody doesn't want to do the same thing, but I am glad they don't.

No final decision yet.UF so far, but waitlisted at UVA and Tulane, no word from Cornell. We'll see.

I have an "in"  at the West Palm Beach office, so I will be probably be spending some time there. i am also really interested in the Louisiana Capital Appeals Project, who handled Patrick Kennedy's defense initially. And, of course, Project Innocence. I wish we had more time to clinic and intern, but I guess I can do some of it volunteer.

No justice, no peace! Rock on PI people.

thecrashlawyer

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »
I am seriously thinking about PD after LS as well.  Then moving into the non-profit sector.  It's good to see a PI thread!

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:44:07 PM »
No justice, no peace!

Please tell me this is an Anti-Flag reference.  I've always thought PI lawyers were true punks.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

convicted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 09:46:02 PM »
I'm sure these topics have been addressed before, so if anybody wants to drop links to reference, that would be appreciated to, but...

Like most people who want to do PI (which is my dream), I am concerned about the money. Can anybody talk about PI-related scholarships and typical salary? Scholarships - realistic? Rare? Extremely rare? Don't count on it? Salary - rough in the beginning? Absolutely impossible to make your tuition payments in the beginning? Gets better with time? How much time?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

thecrashlawyer

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
 Schollys and other sources of money are definitely welcome.  It's funny because more and more schools are providing LRAP, but the details seem to be very scarce.  Also, it's true PI lawyers are totally punks.  I can't believe Anti-flag are still putting out albums.  Geeze.   

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
How tough would it be to land a PI job without PI work experience?  I'd love to  do PI (or be a prosecutor - is that included in "PI?"), but it's very unlikely I'll get scholarships at the school I attend.  I was thinking of definitely accepting a SA position, if one was offered, and maybe doing BIGLAW for a couple years to pay of student debt.  Would this be a bad idea?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »
How tough would it be to land a PI job without PI work experience?  I'd love to  do PI (or be a prosecutor - is that included in "PI?"), but it's very unlikely I'll get scholarships at the school I attend.  I was thinking of definitely accepting a SA position, if one was offered, and maybe doing BIGLAW for a couple years to pay of student debt.  Would this be a bad idea?

My sense is that this is possible, but you need to somehow remain involved in public interest stuff, or it will be hard to make the switch. A few public interest orgs will actually count it as a strike against you if you've been off doing corporate stuff, but you probably don't want to work for them anyway  :P

If you do this, you should try to make sure your pro bono work for the firm is related to the area where you want to work in after, so you start to make connections in that area. And you should get involved in PI work during law school for the same reason. Lots of people need to go to firms to pay off their debt, but if you are uninvolved with PI during law school and then go straight to a big firm, you will have a tough time finding a paying PI job after that.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »

My sense is that this is possible, but you need to somehow remain involved in public interest stuff, or it will be hard to make the switch. A few public interest orgs will actually count it as a strike against you if you've been off doing corporate stuff, but you probably don't want to work for them anyway  :P

If you do this, you should try to make sure your pro bono work for the firm is related to the area where you want to work in after, so you start to make connections in that area. And you should get involved in PI work during law school for the same reason. Lots of people need to go to firms to pay off their debt, but if you are uninvolved with PI during law school and then go straight to a big firm, you will have a tough time finding a paying PI job after that.

Yeah.

A professor gave my class anecdotal advice, based on the experiences of his friends, that you should go in with an "escape plan" - start building a network during law school, if you can, in the area you'd like to work, and maintain and build on that while you're at a firm. Otherwise, you're probably going to have a hard time figuring out how to get out. And it will be a lot harder to be taken seriously if you haven't done anything PI-oriented.

doos13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »
tag