Law School Discussion

How did you narrow down your search for schools?

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you narrow down your search for schools?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:08:28 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll definitely take a closer look at the UC schools (and Notre Dame). I am looking to stay in the Pacific Northwest, but with all the advice to "spread the net wide" it seems like a bad idea to limit myself to an area that has so few schools, and I didn't know where to start looking outside of the region.

@casper13
There isn't anything wrong with U of O. I can tell you from personal experience that the facilities are good, the campus beautiful, and the town interesting. On the other hand, UO also has a lot of distractions for me (memories, favorite haunts, etc.) that I would rather avoid. Also, as other posters pointed out, my numbers are a little high for UO, it would be a safety. Finally, from talking to people in Portland, Lewis and Clark seems to be a little more prestigious locally; although U of O probably would do better nationally.

casper13

• Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll definitely take a closer look at the UC schools (and Notre Dame). I am looking to stay in the Pacific Northwest, but with all the advice to "spread the net wide" it seems like a bad idea to limit myself to an area that has so few schools, and I didn't know where to start looking outside of the region.

@casper13
There isn't anything wrong with U of O. I can tell you from personal experience that the facilities are good, the campus beautiful, and the town interesting. On the other hand, UO also has a lot of distractions for me (memories, favorite haunts, etc.) that I would rather avoid. Also, as other posters pointed out, my numbers are a little high for UO, it would be a safety. Finally, from talking to people in Portland, Lewis and Clark seems to be a little more prestigious locally; although U of O probably would do better nationally.

I totally understand the wanting to get away because of distractions. I am in the same boat with USd here being that I live in San Diego and am native here I dont know if I could keep from being distracted if i went there for LS.

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
your chances are good almost everywhere, and you have a decent shot at most of the t 14, I think, outside of the top 3.. here are people with your numbers from this year's class:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=4833&lsat1=172&lsat2=174&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=3.70&gpa_lsdas2=3.80&attending=0&cycle=5&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=6&y=2&international=0

congrats on the score, looks like that jump could be a life changing one

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »
Well, the lsat narrowed down my search (164 :'( ).  I had a really good gpa too (3.91).  I did apply to Harvard for the hell of it (and got rejected).  I sometimes feel that the admissions committee at Harvard is like Simon Cowell just waiting  to reject someone and put them in their place.  Similar to this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciZO3fXgXw

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »
your chances are good almost everywhere, and you have a decent shot at most of the t 14, I think, outside of the top 3.. here are people with your numbers from this year's class:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=4833&lsat1=172&lsat2=174&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=3.70&gpa_lsdas2=3.80&attending=0&cycle=5&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=6&y=2&international=0

congrats on the score, looks like that jump could be a life changing one

Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I haven't been able to get LSN searches to work except in the most basic way. I think I may have displeased the internet gods ;)

Good luck to everyone trying to integrate the news into their search!