Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How did you narrow down your search for schools?  (Read 1164 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you narrow down your search for schools?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll definitely take a closer look at the UC schools (and Notre Dame). I am looking to stay in the Pacific Northwest, but with all the advice to "spread the net wide" it seems like a bad idea to limit myself to an area that has so few schools, and I didn't know where to start looking outside of the region.

@casper13
There isn't anything wrong with U of O. I can tell you from personal experience that the facilities are good, the campus beautiful, and the town interesting. On the other hand, UO also has a lot of distractions for me (memories, favorite haunts, etc.) that I would rather avoid. Also, as other posters pointed out, my numbers are a little high for UO, it would be a safety. Finally, from talking to people in Portland, Lewis and Clark seems to be a little more prestigious locally; although U of O probably would do better nationally.

LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:26:16 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll definitely take a closer look at the UC schools (and Notre Dame). I am looking to stay in the Pacific Northwest, but with all the advice to "spread the net wide" it seems like a bad idea to limit myself to an area that has so few schools, and I didn't know where to start looking outside of the region.

@casper13
There isn't anything wrong with U of O. I can tell you from personal experience that the facilities are good, the campus beautiful, and the town interesting. On the other hand, UO also has a lot of distractions for me (memories, favorite haunts, etc.) that I would rather avoid. Also, as other posters pointed out, my numbers are a little high for UO, it would be a safety. Finally, from talking to people in Portland, Lewis and Clark seems to be a little more prestigious locally; although U of O probably would do better nationally.

I totally understand the wanting to get away because of distractions. I am in the same boat with USd here being that I live in San Diego and am native here I dont know if I could keep from being distracted if i went there for LS.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
your chances are good almost everywhere, and you have a decent shot at most of the t 14, I think, outside of the top 3.. here are people with your numbers from this year's class:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=4833&lsat1=172&lsat2=174&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=3.70&gpa_lsdas2=3.80&attending=0&cycle=5&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=6&y=2&international=0

congrats on the score, looks like that jump could be a life changing one

1lstudent

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 11:45:20 PM »
Well, the lsat narrowed down my search (164 :'( ).  I had a really good gpa too (3.91).  I did apply to Harvard for the hell of it (and got rejected).  I sometimes feel that the admissions committee at Harvard is like Simon Cowell just waiting  to reject someone and put them in their place.  Similar to this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciZO3fXgXw

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 11:49:07 PM »
your chances are good almost everywhere, and you have a decent shot at most of the t 14, I think, outside of the top 3.. here are people with your numbers from this year's class:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=4833&lsat1=172&lsat2=174&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=3.70&gpa_lsdas2=3.80&attending=0&cycle=5&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=6&y=2&international=0

congrats on the score, looks like that jump could be a life changing one

Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I haven't been able to get LSN searches to work except in the most basic way. I think I may have displeased the internet gods ;)

Good luck to everyone trying to integrate the news into their search!
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.