Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How did you narrow down your search for schools?  (Read 1160 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
How did you narrow down your search for schools?
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:01:42 AM »
I finally caved and decided to apply this fall, but I don't really know how to even START looking. I've looked at most of the information on the sites in the resources, but it feels like no matter how thorough I am there is something I will over look.

How did you narrow down your search?

(My info: GPA: 3.7; LSAT: 165(should I retake?); Undergrad at University of Oregon: Political Science and Linguistics. I'm looking at University of Washington, Lewis and Clark, and an extreme long-shot: Berkeley. I think the regional options here in the Pacific Northwest are kind of slim, so if you have any suggestions on that area I'd appreciate it.)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: How did you narrow down your search for schools?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »
I went through the hundreds of pages on the "Where Should I Go Next Fall" and "Reviews, Visits, and Rankings" boards.  It took several hours over a couple weeks, but I really felt that I had a decent handle on the conventional wisdom about these schools after that.  From there, I picked about 20-30 schools to investigate more deeply, and visited their websites, wiki pages, and BCG pages.  That's given me a pretty good list of schools that I'm interested in.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »
I would say go to USNEWS Report:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/law/search/c_final_tier+1

Decided where you would like to study, where you want to work and apply to schools within your range of numbers.

I would say at least 2 Reaches, 3/4 Targets, 2 Safeties.

Reach: You're slightly below their numbers. 25 percentile
Target: You're right there in the middle of their numbers 50-60 percentitle
Safety: 75% or above

Some other schools in the region you can consider. UC Hastings, UC Davis, Santa Clara (Dependent if you're interested in Intellectual Property), etc. You can apply to UCLA, USC (they can take you back up north).

Good luck. 

pulvillus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »
I finally caved and decided to apply this fall, but I don't really know how to even START looking. I've looked at most of the information on the sites in the resources, but it feels like no matter how thorough I am there is something I will over look.

How did you narrow down your search?

(My info: GPA: 3.7; LSAT: 165(should I retake?); Undergrad at University of Oregon: Political Science and Linguistics. I'm looking at University of Washington, Lewis and Clark, and an extreme long-shot: Berkeley. I think the regional options here in the Pacific Northwest are kind of slim, so if you have any suggestions on that area I'd appreciate it.)

Initially, I chose a few areas where I thought I might want to practice/study. In and around those markets I looked at schools that would be a good fit for me, given my numbers. Once I came up with a broad list, I started comparing and eliminating schools based on employment data, OCI numbers, etc. At the end of it, I was down to about 8 schools, some safety, some right in the middle and some reaches. Making my decision was actually pretty easy, since I got a much more enticing offer from Vandy than anyone else. Unless Cornell decides to make my life difficult by finally accepting me and offering me a large scholarship, I will be Nashville in the fall.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
What is wrong with the law school at your own undergrad. I am actually going to apply there next cycle when i apply to schools just cause I like oregon and im kinda intrigued by U of O. Im also a huge running fan so what better place to watch some really good track meets.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:04:56 PM »
What is wrong with the law school at your own undergrad. I am actually going to apply there next cycle when i apply to schools just cause I like oregon and im kinda intrigued by U of O. Im also a huge running fan so what better place to watch some really good track meets.

OPs numbers are above 75ths at Oregon.  S/he could potentially go to a more prestigious school.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
What about UCLA/USC as some more reaches? UC-Hastings & Arizona as some targets?

I was going to suggest the CA schools as well.  You may want to consider Notre Dame as well.  It seems to travel well throughout the country.

With your strong GPA, I would definitely study for and retake the LSAT.  Just a few points could drastically alter your options and/or your scholarships.  How much did you prepare for your first LSAT?

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
I narrowed down my search in an buttbackwards way that I would not recommend to anyone just starting out. Wasn't that helpful?

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »

OPs numbers are above 75ths at Oregon.  S/he could potentially go to a more prestigious school.

As opposed to Lewis and Clark that are a spit above U of O's

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »

As opposed to Lewis and Clark that are a spit above U of O's

When I first decided to go to law school and was looking through the lists of school, I put both of the above on my interest list, namely due to location.  However, once I learned a bit more about rankings and where my numbers/softs put me, I decided perhaps for higher ranked schools.  The OP hasn't really stated whether going outside the PNW is of interest, and their numbers would certainly support aps to some tier 1 schools.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.