Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW degree portability  (Read 564 times)

vsting

• View Profile
GW degree portability
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:18:15 PM »
I'm considering GWU because of the great law opportunities in DC. That said, I know that I want to practice law in California upon graduation. Does anybody know how well the degree carries to California? Or am I better off going to lower-ranking CA schools and saving my money?

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW degree portability
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
GW does okay in DC but you are better off going to a preferred local school in CA. outside of the T14, schools like UCLA, UC Hastings, UC Davis, and USC will give you a better chance at CA biglaw than GW. i was in your shoes before and i chose GW thinking that it was quasi-national. boy was i wrong. luckily i transferred but you might not be able to. it's an expensive risk to take. i don't think it's worth it.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:31:51 PM »
agree. CA t3/t4 schools won't be worth it. OP will be better off going to any of the UC law schools, USC, and maybe strong T2s that give him scholarships.

vsting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:37:58 PM »
correct. :p no on USC and UCLA. yes on hastings and davis. Also have a scholarship from Loyola, but does that change anything?

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
yes, OP you are better off going to a lower ranked CA school than a non-T14 in the south atlantic but avoid t3/t4 schools.

the T14 or pick the school in the region or state you want to work rule is true. trolls can bring up exceptions but they will be just that, exceptions.

where else did you get in?

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »
correct. :p no on USC and UCLA. yes on hastings and davis. Also have a scholarship from Loyola, but does that change anything?

Yeah I'd go to Hastings/Davis over GW if you want to practice in Cali.  Go to whichever school is closer to the area of Cali that you'd like to practice in.  If it's the same then pick the one that's the better fit.

TITCR.

btw, good luck on the BC waitlist. did BU take you yet?