Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Arkansas - Fayetteville  (Read 353 times)

tlong

• View Profile
    • Email
Arkansas - Fayetteville
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:56:02 PM »
I haven't heard much about this school on here or any other forum for that matter.  I got in with some money, but I don't know enough about the school or it's reputation.  Any opinions?

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Arkansas - Fayetteville
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
I haven't heard much about this school on here or any other forum for that matter.  I got in with some money, but I don't know enough about the school or it's reputation.  Any opinions?

What do you want to do with your JD? Where do you want to practice after LS?

I am headed there in August with a scholarship. I know that I will be restricted to practice basically in the mid-south (AR, OK, TX, KS, MO) but that is what I want. I am not into big city life and am getting married in May. I would love to practice here in NorthWest Arkansas or in Dallas (where I am from originally, and have a bunch of good contacts). If you are cool with those regional restrictions, I think it is a great school that won't leave you with much debt.

Feel free to IM me if you have any questions about the area. NW Arkansas is a great place to live and work...

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Arkansas - Fayetteville
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:54:32 AM »

I can only speak from undergrad experience - I am finishing up my degree here.

But I'll speak regarding what I do know - the University finished the new law school building on campus - its easily one of the nicer buildings on campus - only the business school and the new JB hunt building have comparable quality.

I also know Wal-Mart currently has an abundance of graduates from UofA law school in their in-house counsel.  Since Wal-Mart corporate is about 20 minutes away from campus and the Walton's donate heavily to the school, they like UofA graduates.

Tyson and JB Hunt also have their HQs nearby so I imagine they hire from the school a lot as well.

Finding a job locally in Northwest Arkansas probably wouldn't be that difficult.  The area is nice and is completely different from the Arkansas stereotype - the other parts of Arkansas, with some exceptions, however is a different story.

The clout of the degree outside of Arkansas is probably rather limited so I don't know if it travels well.

Regarding the school overall and not just the law school, its your typical SEC school.  Fayetteville is basically a college town and the school is pretty much the epicenter of the town with Dixon street being the main thoroughfare for activity. 

Also the people drive funny here.