Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT Bears Ask Smart LSD Posters to Help Choose a Loan!  (Read 4333 times)

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT Bears Ask Smart LSD Posters to Help Choose a Loan!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »
I'd take a Stafford before I took a GradPLUS. The terms are better. Why would you want a GradPLUS before a Stafford?

antaresvi

• Sr. Citizen
  • law school.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »
I'd take a Stafford before I took a GradPLUS. The terms are better. Why would you want a GradPLUS before a Stafford?

You have to max out the Stafford before you can take out gradplus, so if I do take the gradplus, I'd be getting both. Problem is that Stafford maxes out at 20,500, so I'm like with another 45k or so.

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »

You have to max out the Stafford before you can take out gradplus, so if I do take the gradplus, I'd be getting both. Problem is that Stafford maxes out at 20,500, so I'm like with another 45k or so.

Got it. I thought someone was saying they wanted to take GradPLUS and not Stafford.

antaresvi

• Sr. Citizen
  • law school.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
Also, is it too early to be doing this? Is there any problem with getting loans out of the way before June?

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
Also, is it too early to be doing this? Is there any problem with getting loans out of the way before June?

If you're doing GRADPLUS, no.  If you're doing private loans, then yes.  The rates might change.
Michigan 2L

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »

Got it. I thought someone was saying they wanted to take GradPLUS and not Stafford.
Why would anyone want to do this? This doesn't make any sense.

antaresvi

• Sr. Citizen
  • law school.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 01:51:09 PM »

If you're doing GRADPLUS, no.  If you're doing private loans, then yes.  The rates might change.

They might, but I was under the impression that pretty much every private loan rate is tied to prime or LIBOR, and the only question is what you qualify for relative to those rates. Is there a fixed private loan available?

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »

They might, but I was under the impression that pretty much every private loan rate is tied to prime or LIBOR, and the only question is what you qualify for relative to those rates. Is there a fixed private loan available?

I haven't seen one - and been looking. What's your take?

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Tag

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 02:02:05 PM »

Why would anyone want to do this? This doesn't make any sense.

I know it doesn't make sense. That's why I was confused. Am I just confusing everybody?