Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Least helpful office of admissions? Rutgers-Newark gets my vote  (Read 983 times)

logflume

• View Profile
I just got off of the phone with the office of admissions at Rutgers-Newark.  Having just been waitlisted there today, I wanted to get a bit of information about the waiting list, how often I should check in with them, etc.

THEY COULDN'T HAVE POSSIBLY BEEN RUDER!  I know that they get lots of questions from applicants, but hello, don't they understand???  We are all making huge decisions that will affect the rest of our lives.  Living with the uncertainty of being waitlisted sucks, so excuse me for wanting to get more information.  A little courtesy would have been appreciated...I've gotten better service at the New York State DMV, to be truthful.

kylasflanagan

• View Profile
Re: Least helpful office of admissions? Rutgers-Newark gets my vote
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
I have already complained about this endlessly on this forum, but SMU gets my vote hands down. If you are curious why check the "Yo, that admissions is whack" board, but basically they are slow and rude.

lakers24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »
I agree as well. Your not alone.

mel0515

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:54:12 PM »
St. John's is the worst!!! I applied in November and still nothing. I called and they said they were "still evaluating my application". Before I could even get my question out, the lady says decision should be mail within a week or two, ok. A week or two??? It's April!! How long does it take? It's either yes, no or maybe. St. John's admissions is definetly super wack!!

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 04:02:37 AM »
UGA, hands down.
Emory '09

LSN

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
I've had a really great experience with UGA. Weird. (and I had the avatar before I loved UGA)

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:50:14 AM »
i'm going to go with Wyoming for different reasons. out of 37 applications on lsn, they've only sent out eight (eight!) decisions.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »
I've had a really great experience with UGA. Weird. (and I had the avatar before I loved UGA)

Maybe it's better now, but back when I was applying (two cycles ago), they were horrendous.  Though I think I saw someone on LSN who had a similar bad experience with them (left in limbo for months and months and months, evasive answers that turned out to be completely fictional, and a generally too-big-for-their-britches attitude) this year too.  Eventually I got tired of their BS and decided to go to Emory instead, who was much nicer to me and will suit me better for what I eventually decided I want to do, so all's well that ends well.

I guess your mileage may vary.

Emory '09

LSN

Calypso

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:26:23 PM »
My vote has to go to Howard.  I'm multi-ethnic and had mixed feelings about attending an Historically Black College/University.  There is no information on their website about the ethnic breakdown of their class so  I called to ask.  The lovely (meaning extremely rude and pretentious) woman who answered the phone seemed annoyed that a prospective student would ever do something crazy like call the admission office to ask a question.  When I asked about the diversity breakdown of the class her response was, "We're a HBCU so automatically we're diverse."  To which I replied, "Right, I knew that.  Which means there's obviously a higher percentage of minority students, but how diverse is that population?  What percentage of the class is non-black?"  Her response?  "Well, it's 85% black and 15% other."  When I prompted her to explain "other", she said, "Some Caucasian, some Asian, and some oh, what do you call them..."  "Hispanic?" I suggested.  "No, middle eastern." 

Despite this interaction, I still went to visit. There was no one in the office when I arrived, so I sat down in the waiting area.  The woman mentioned above came in a few minutes after this, walked past me, and went into her windowed office without saying a word or even acknowledging a prospective student was sitting there.  I have yet to walk into any other admissions office where everyone doesn't at least smile at you.  I finally  got up to ask her (since I had been waiting for almost 10 minutes at this point) if anyone was even coming to take me on my tour. She told me to just wait a few minutes longer and someone would be there.  No, "I'm sorry you have to wait" or even "How are you?"

Are you serious?  Needless to say, I did not apply.

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
Cardozo gets my vote. The representative at the Los School Forum in LA was incredibly rude and I've had some issues with their admissions staff as well.
Class of 2011