USC
7 (41.2%)
NYU
10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Help me choose USC or NYU

Help me choose USC or NYU
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
So, life was going pretty well up until NYU came out of the blue and accepted me. Now I have to decide between LA and NYC in the next few weeks. Here is a little bit about me:

Born and raised in Northern California, went to school in SoCal and work for a firm here now as a paralegal. Also, the girlfriend of 3 years is here and locked into a job/PhD program at one of the big local schools for the next 2 years at least. Never spent more than 4 days in NYC, not partial to the cold.

Interested in land use law, soft ip, practicing in California, making enough money to buy a house and get a dog, and a JD/MBA program (although all the attys that I have talked to have discouraged it). To be honest, I am not even sure I want BIGLaw.

Any suggestions? I have been a lurker on here forever and I figure there is no better way to think this through than with people who are in the same situation with me.

Thanks.

Oh, and here is my LSN profile if any of you guys want to see how much NYU was an unexpected acceptance for me.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=icanhazlawschool

Re: Help me choose USC or NYU
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
But as to your choice, dangle that NYU acceptance in front of USC. See how much money you can get from them. Picking USC w/$$$ might be the smart move

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
You are a URM.....no acceptance should be a surprise

But as to your choice, dangle that NYU acceptance in front of USC. See how much money you can get from them. Picking USC w/$$$ might be the smart move

mean

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 01:41:57 PM »
You are a URM.....no acceptance should be a surprise

mean

I didn't intend it that way. I'll edit it. It's hard to tell tone on the internet. But the point was that being a URM makes you a wild card and anything can happen.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
Cal., think about the life you're building with your lady, it's clear you will be successful anywhere and Land Use is better out West.  Your dog dreams will suck in NYC, where it's cold and there are no yards for your dog to poop in.

Good luck.

Whelk

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
I agree that the best course of action would be to contact USC with the NYU offer and see what they are willing to offer you.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:51:01 PM »
I agree that the best course of action would be to contact USC with the NYU offer and see what they are willing to offer you.

What would I say without sounding like a total jerk? I already appealed my financial aid once with the offers from BU, USD, and Santa Clara and they didn't change anything. I can't think of a way to say, hey i got into a higher ranked school than you, how about you give me some more money? Any suggestions? (And to be honest, if USC were to up their offer significantly, it would be a no brainer for me).

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »
given the facts you listed...usc over nyu. 

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 03:12:26 PM »

What would I say without sounding like a total jerk? I already appealed my financial aid once with the offers from BU, USD, and Santa Clara and they didn't change anything. I can't think of a way to say, hey i got into a higher ranked school than you, how about you give me some more money? Any suggestions? (And to be honest, if USC were to up their offer significantly, it would be a no brainer for me).

BU, USD, Santa Clara are not in the same league with NYU.  Call them, tell them that you want to go there but NYU is an extraordinary opportunity for you (and I want to make this very clear, there is a big gap between NYU and USC), and if they don't seriously up your offer it will be hard for you to turn down the seat at NYU.

If they don't pony up, take a good hard look at whether the things that are keeping you in California are really worth the opportunity you'd be giving up.

Good luck.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »
bump