Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GMAT vs. LSAT?  (Read 25434 times)

WildChic

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornelius
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Wildcat29
    • View Profile
Re: GMAT vs. LSAT?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 01:21:48 PM »
I haven't been using all that many books for the GMAT. Unlike for the LSAT where I went out and purchased prep books and materials, I'm only using the ones that are at my library for the GMAT.

As in a previous post, take the LSAT first, b/c then most of the verbal section of the GMAT will be a breeze. Then if you need to polish up on your math, I would recommend the GRE/GMAT Math workbook from Kaplan. Its goes over most of the math you need for the exam and it has tons of practice questions. I liked this book b/c it had been a couple of years for me since I had done some serious math. This book helped me to catch up. As an overall starting point for the GMAT check out Cracking the GMAT by Princeton Review. This book won't make your score go up by tons of points but its a good starting point to find out where your weaknesses are and what you should work on. To get actual real GMAT questions, you can buy the Official Guide for GMAT Review from GMAC or at any bookstore. I don't have that book b/c honestly, I'm not as worried about this exam as I was about the LSAT. If you do a Google on GMAT practice exams, you'll find tons of web sites with free practice questions. That is the extent of my studying for the GMAT.

Jennifer10

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 08:27:52 PM »
Hurley,
My ex just left for the Wharton School of Business this Fall & he scored in the 99th percentile on the GMAT.  He didn't end up taking a prep course.  He had studied from Princeton Review books & took practice exams on CD's.  He said it helped but I think he was just naturally smart to score that freaken high! :-\

Wall

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 07:22:48 PM »
here is one GMAT SC question.

researchers are studying plastics that dissolve at different rates,and they are finding that the so-called "quick disintegration" plantics are taking  more time to deteriorate than:
a they originally seemed
b they seemed originally
c it seemed that they would origionally
d it originally seemed
e it originally seemed they would

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 10:47:53 AM »
c

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 04:16:11 PM »
no, its e.

robbief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Right?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 06:33:07 PM »
yes, definitely e.  i stopped reading at c.

BAFF213

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 09:06:17 PM »
Hi Hurley97,

I am also planning on pursuing a JD/MBA. Right now I am studying for the GMAT (which will be in about 3 weeks for me). Here are some of the differences between the 2 tests:

1) The LSAT is a paper test, the GMAT is all computerized. On the GMAT you have 3 sections: two scored 30 min essays, a 75 minute 37 question quantitative section, and a 75 minute 41 question verbal section. There are two 5 minute breaks.

2) The two exams only have 2 parts and are similar, both have reading comp and logical reasoning questions. Although I have to tell you that the reading comp and LR on the GMAT is much easier than on the LSAT.

3) You are allowed to have scratch paper for the GMAT (6 pieces to be exact), they will collect it from you at the end of the exam. LSAT does not allow any scratch paper.

4) Since the LSAT is a paper test, you don't necessarily have to do them in order. You can skip ones that are tough and then go back to them if you have time. On the GMAT there is no skipping allowed. You MUST answer the question to move forward and you CANNOT go back to check or change answers.

5) The GMAT is adaptive to your skill level. Basically this is how it works. The first question is a medium level question and you start off with an initial score of 500. If you get it right, your score goes up to lets say 550 and you get a harder question. If you get the first question wrong, your score goes down to maybe 460 and you get an easier question (I'm not sure of the actual fluctuations in score, but this is happening in the background). The test continues on like this, adapting to the way you answer the questions. Since hard questions are worth more points, its in your best interest to get to the tough questions as early in the test as you can, and make sure you get them right. The beginning of the test is the most important for your score.

6) The math on the GMAT is high school level (but the hard questions involve many steps, so its easier to make a mistake).

7) On the LSAT you have to wait 3 weeks for your score, on the GMAT you get your score right after you finish the exam.

8) I've been studying on my own for both exams. For the LSAT I practiced on 10 more actual office lsat preptests, and I read Mastering the LSAT by Jeff Kolby. I looked over the LGB and LRB and they looked pretty good too. As for the GMAT, I would recommend going to their web site first, www.mba.com, and downloand the prep software, they have a bunch of actual GMAT questions and explanations and you can take 2 full length tests. Also check out www.gmatclub.com.

E-mail me if you have more questions: kkaplinska@hotmail.com

Do MBA programs take your highest GMAT score, or average them like law schools do with the LSAT?

Hurley97

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 12:29:48 AM »
Highest.  I have been continually amazed at how merciful the MBA admissions process is compared to the Law School process.  Night and Day.

WildChic

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornelius
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Wildcat29
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 12:25:20 PM »
A lot of schools take the highest or most recent score, but some also take the average of all your scores. Its something that you should make sure of for each school that you're interested in - kinda like with law school. Either way, when your score report is sent, the schools see the scores for every gmat that you took.

Hilarity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 05:26:06 PM »
1.  MBA schools take your highest GMAT score. 
2.  You have to get the test prep guide from the company that creates the GMAT.  It's on their website.  I can't remember the name of the company right now, but it's the ONLY one that has actual GMAT questions.  The questions from Kaplan/Princeton, etc. that are supposed to be simliar to the GMAT questions are a joke.  Either way too hard or way too easy.