Law School Discussion

GMAT vs. LSAT?

Hurley97

GMAT vs. LSAT?
« on: October 05, 2004, 12:51:03 PM »
Does anyone have info on the GMAT?  Which prep courses/materials are good?  Is it easier than the LSAT or more difficult?

Any info on this would be appreciated.  I'm strongly considering a JD/MBA program.

FSF17

Re: GMAT vs. LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 01:29:21 PM »
I'm interested also... I kinda want to take the GMAT just to keep open more options. Plus, now that the LSAT is done, I need something to study (besides schoolwork which sucks and I refuse to do).

Also, I'm assuming you have to major in a business field to get accepted into a business program??? ???

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 01:32:25 PM »
not at all.  the best candidates for MBA programs do not have an undergraduate business degree since the curiculum is prettty much the same.  generally GMAT/UGPA will be a big factor in admissions, but a bigger factor will be work experience/LORs

I'm interested also... I kinda want to take the GMAT just to keep open more options. Plus, now that the LSAT is done, I need something to study (besides schoolwork which sucks and I refuse to do).

Also, I'm assuming you have to major in a business field to get accepted into a business program??? ???

FSF17

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 01:41:29 PM »
Ok, I don't know which one is easier, but I found this site that has some info on the GMAT, and from what I can tell, it looks very easy.

There's a Verbal section that has no analogies or vocab like the bad GRE; there's a writing portion, and there's a quantitative portion. Overall, it looks kinda simple.

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT

Rizz98

• 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 01:59:51 PM »
I took the GMAT back in August. Granted, I treated it almost as nonchalantly as the SAT back in high school - my preparation consisted of one practice test. One of the most important difference is that it's a computer test, and there's no skipping questions. Also, the questions toward the beginning affect your score much more than the end. As you answer questions correctly, more difficult ones pop up, and vice versa. There are two section, a quantitative and a verbal, and you get an individual score for each, then an overall (percentiles for all, too). The computer nature of it means basically no two people get exactly the same test, which is a bit strange. For me, I got a couple early quant questions that I for some reason just didn't seem to get, and that hurt me a lot. My quant score was abnormally low, in the 82nd percentile - I had a 790 on my math SATs. Overall I was in the 95th percentile, and I think I'll end up doing better than that on the LSATs, which IMO is a harder test. So I guess I have a little bias in disliking the computerized, randomized nature of the test. Whereas with the LSAT my practice scores were consistently in a range of about 4-5 points, I feel like I could take the GMAT 5 times and range within 660-780 at random, which is ridiculous, like going from a 160-177.

And as for business school apps, GMAT holds MUCH less consideration than the LSAT does for law schools. Work experience & accomplishments are huge and stressed - most top business schools basically require 2+ years of postgraduate work experience. And be careful looking at those salary numbers - they're skewed heavily upward because so many people already established in the workplace go back to get an MBA. It's like a Director making $95K going back, getting an MBA & becoming a VP making $110K. Are you, the 24 year old brand new MBA with minimal work experience going to make that $110K? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes, but not bloody likely.

Hurley97

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 02:01:10 PM »
I went to Borders Books the other day and checked out a study guide.  The logical-reasoning equivalent section was really simple compared to some of the LSAT questions, but I don't know too much about the other sections.

WildChic

• Cornelius
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Wildcat29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 02:07:25 PM »
Hi Hurley97,

I am also planning on pursuing a JD/MBA. Right now I am studying for the GMAT (which will be in about 3 weeks for me). Here are some of the differences between the 2 tests:

1) The LSAT is a paper test, the GMAT is all computerized. On the GMAT you have 3 sections: two scored 30 min essays, a 75 minute 37 question quantitative section, and a 75 minute 41 question verbal section. There are two 5 minute breaks.

2) The two exams only have 2 parts and are similar, both have reading comp and logical reasoning questions. Although I have to tell you that the reading comp and LR on the GMAT is much easier than on the LSAT.

3) You are allowed to have scratch paper for the GMAT (6 pieces to be exact), they will collect it from you at the end of the exam. LSAT does not allow any scratch paper.

4) Since the LSAT is a paper test, you don't necessarily have to do them in order. You can skip ones that are tough and then go back to them if you have time. On the GMAT there is no skipping allowed. You MUST answer the question to move forward and you CANNOT go back to check or change answers.

5) The GMAT is adaptive to your skill level. Basically this is how it works. The first question is a medium level question and you start off with an initial score of 500. If you get it right, your score goes up to lets say 550 and you get a harder question. If you get the first question wrong, your score goes down to maybe 460 and you get an easier question (I'm not sure of the actual fluctuations in score, but this is happening in the background). The test continues on like this, adapting to the way you answer the questions. Since hard questions are worth more points, its in your best interest to get to the tough questions as early in the test as you can, and make sure you get them right. The beginning of the test is the most important for your score.

6) The math on the GMAT is high school level (but the hard questions involve many steps, so its easier to make a mistake).

7) On the LSAT you have to wait 3 weeks for your score, on the GMAT you get your score right after you finish the exam.

8) I've been studying on my own for both exams. For the LSAT I practiced on 10 more actual office lsat preptests, and I read Mastering the LSAT by Jeff Kolby. I looked over the LGB and LRB and they looked pretty good too. As for the GMAT, I would recommend going to their web site first, www.mba.com, and downloand the prep software, they have a bunch of actual GMAT questions and explanations and you can take 2 full length tests. Also check out www.gmatclub.com.

E-mail me if you have more questions: kkaplinska@hotmail.com

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 02:25:43 PM »
I took the GMAT about 10 years ago and got a 680 after only taking a few practice tests. I just took the LSAT on Sat and will be happy to get the equivalent of my GMAT score which would be a 168. I studied for the LSAT for 3 solid months and took like 25 practice tests. So in my opinion the LSAT is much harder. The GMAT is computerized now from when I took it but I don't think the content is that much different. If you are going to take both tests I would take the LSAT first because the GMAT verbal stuff will be a breeze after getting up to speed with the LSAT.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 02:54:49 PM »
I took the GMAT (i have my MBA) and would agree that it is easier than the LSAT. I studied for maybe 20 minutes the night before, took no practice tests, and got a 610 which was all i need for the school i was applying to. You have to decide whether you want to keep the score at the end of the test, and if you keep it they give you an approximation of what your official result will be. They mail the official result in a few weeks, and mine was identical to the approximation.

Hurley97

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 11:34:05 PM »
What do you think the best test-prep book is?  For the LSAT everyone raves about the LRB and LGB, but what is their equivalent for the GMAT?