Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question regarding "W"s on transcript  (Read 500 times)

smokyroom26

• View Profile
Question regarding "W"s on transcript
« on: April 15, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
Hello all -

I recently graduated Cum Laude from my university; I have a great academic record. Problem is, my last two semesters of school were a little rocky - I don't mean that I got poor grades, I mean that I had personal problems going on which really affected me. To make a long story short, I had a nervous breakdown and withdrew from two classes (one in each of my last two semesters). How will this affect my chances of admittance? What can I do to make sure that I still get into a top school (University of Texas at Austin is my first choice)? I have won awards and participated in many extracurricular societies throughout my academic career. I also volunteer in my free time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

ohthehugemanatee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding "W"s on transcript
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »
Hello all -

I recently graduated Cum Laude from my university; I have a great academic record. Problem is, my last two semesters of school were a little rocky - I don't mean that I got poor grades, I mean that I had personal problems going on which really affected me. To make a long story short, I had a nervous breakdown and withdrew from two classes (one in each of my last two semesters). How will this affect my chances of admittance? What can I do to make sure that I still get into a top school (University of Texas at Austin is my first choice)? I have won awards and participated in many extracurricular societies throughout my academic career. I also volunteer in my free time.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

You'll be fine.  Just explain that in your application.

techpers0n

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
Please don't say anything about a breakdown. Just say you have some personal issues that demanded your attention, and because you did not need the classes to graduate you just dropped them.

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »
I had three drops and gave no excuse (because I didn't have one), but I had so many holes in my resume that I can't really tell you whether the drops affected my success at law school apps or not. Still, I would say explain it if you have an excuse that doesn't make it seem like you had some kind of mental collapse.
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

TurboBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 06:47:55 PM »
One from each semester of your last year?  I don't think it even warrants an explanation, but if I had to, I'd lie and say I needed extra time to hone my thesis!  Ha ha ha ha!
Support the arts, sleep with a musician.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 01:23:03 AM »
Yeah, totally not a big deal, assuming they were W and not WF -- that is, they didn't count against your GPA or LSDAS GPA.

Everybody's got some dubyas. I had two and I did fine applying to law schools. Assuming the numbers that really matter (LSAT and GPA) are fine, it's probably not even worth explaining.
UVA Law Class of 2011

zar090

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »