Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Florida States Law...Anything will help  (Read 329 times)

youngsal

• View Profile
    • Email
Thoughts on Florida States Law...Anything will help
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »
What do you guys hear and think about FSU...How good are my career prospects in Florida coming out of there?

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thoughts on Florida States Law...Anything will help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »
I hear you are likely to be shot walking down the street by a football player who thinks he is Jesus because he's high on "lyme disease"
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

youngsal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »
I'm guessing you're a gator

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
Places worse than UF, better than UM.

Like the other FL schools, doesn't travel outside of the state well.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »
I hear you are likely to be shot walking down the street by a football player who thinks he is Jesus because he's high on "lyme disease"

That or because he's Wyatt Sexton and he just came back from Boneroo.

To the OP: You'll have pretty good job prospects as long as you're staying in Florida. It places decent all around the state. You can even get a job in Miami, but it will be easier to get a job there if you're from the Miami area.

I'm a 3L at FSU and I scored a pretty good job in Atlanta for after I graduate. Be warned though, I got this job with basically no help whatsoever from the career placement office. They do a good job placing people in Florida (I did part of my 2L summer with a firm in Orlando), but they are horrible for getting to any employers outside of Florida.

OCI is pretty good at FSU, however, don't count on it unless you're in the top 25%. (with a few exceptions) Most of the employers are from Florida, but a few from Alabama and Georgia do come as well. We also do resume referrals to firms throughout Florida, Alabama and Georgia, and with a few in DC. We also have off-campus interview programs in Atlanta, Birmingham and Miami.

Its also a good school if you want to do government work. All of Florida's agencies are located in Tallahassee, so we have good oportunities for that. (if you're into that kinda work...which I'm not) Also, if you want to do clerkships at Courts during school we do a good job of that too. There's a Federal District court here, a Federal Bankruptcy court, State trial courts, Florida's First District Court of Appeal is here, and so is the Florida Supreme Court and we place students at all of them during the year. There are also plenty of opportunities to clerk for lawfirms during the school year at FSU. They are always hiring.

So overall, FSU does a good job of placing students, but I am a bit skeptical of the "82% employment at graduation" statistic that they gave USNWR for the past rankings. Half of the people I have talked to DO NOT have jobs lined up yet and we graduate in 2 and half weeks. But everyone does end up getting a job. They're not lying about the 99 percent placement rate at 9 months.

All in all, it places well in Florida. (I really don't think I'm qualified to speak on how well UF or UM places) But be wary about having an easy time getting a job out of state unless you have a connection to the out of state market that you are looking to work in.

If you have any other questions let me know. Now back to not studying.