Law School Discussion

Willamette with $$ or Lewis and Clark at full price????

Willamette with $$ or Lewis and Clark at full price????
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »
I have received a $20,000 (renewable) scholarship from Willamette and have been admitted (with no $$$) to Lewis and Clark.  Now I know that Lewis and Clark is a better school (currently 73), but is it a big enough difference to warrant an additional $60,000 in student loans over three years?  I plan on staying in the PNW area after graduation, and don't currently have a whole lot of interest in the public sector.

In addition, although I have every intention of being in the top ten percent of my class, I would rather prepare for the worst (middle of class), while still hoping for the best.  If I chose Willamette and then ended up in the 50th percentile would I be in a very tough position as far as getting a well paying job?  What about if I was in the 50th percentile at Lewis and Clark?  A better chance or still in a precarious position?

Thanks for all of the help! 

NYC2L

Re: Willamette with $$ or Lewis and Clark at full price????
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »
50th percentile at either school would put you in a "precarious" position employment-wise. Although "well paying jobs" does depend on your definition of "well," law firm jobs will be hard to come by unless you are approximately in the top 1-5% at W or 5-10% at L&C. In considering whether to take the money, that depends on what GPA or class rank you must maintain to renew the scholarship. If the bar is set too high, there is a good chance that you will fall beneath it (it is the nature of curves) and lose the money, which would defeat the purpose of going to the lower ranked school in the first place.

Good luck with your decision.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »
The scholarship is renewable and contingent on maintaining a 2.9 GPA or higher.

NYC2L

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »
What is the curve?

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 11:56:59 PM »
The curve is somewhere right around 2.9

NYC2L

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:15:39 AM »
Well, you have a 50% chance of keeping your scholarship. Those are good odds. Nevertheless, I would try to look past the money to the school itself. Does either offer a special program or clinic that you are interested in; employee a professor that you would like to take classes from? Also consider the location and environment of school; class size; type of students, etc. While $60,000 is a chunk of change, it may not be that significant to warrant forgoing a school that you would otherwise attend--if money was not an issue. If neither school stands out to you in that way, try to find accurate employment statistics. Finally, although I've never been, I've often been told that Portland is a great city. Can the same be said for Salem?

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »
imo they're equivalent. Ignore the USNWR, they're stupid.

However, Wilamette is notorious for failing a large portion of the class. Haven't heard anything good about it.

You didn't apply to Oregon?

Tough decision. L&C is the better school, better location, better rep.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 10:59:13 PM »
The curve is actually set at 2.7, so you have to be in the top 1/3rd to keep it.

pete.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
The curve is actually set at 2.7, so you have to be in the top 1/3rd to keep it.

this is blatantly false.

go to: http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndlsdir_search_quick.asp and search for willamette. they have the breakdown by percentile.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
2.7 is what a couple of current students told me when I visited the campus this past weekend.