Law School Discussion

How national is BU?

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
Re: How national is BU?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
BU places well in boston and nyc but not as good elsewhere. Only the T14 is truly national.

Not exactly. A lot of T1 schools have self-selection biases (students from that area choose to stay in that area). Now in the T2 and beyond everything is strictly regional, but the 'regional' thing gets overblown on this board.

What about GW/BC/BU - is their placement all self-selective?

Talk to career services. See how many people from the most recent graduating class ended up getting jobs in Boston, and if possible find out how many students from the entering class were from Massachusetts. My research in picking a school showed that some schools that appeared to not place well in a certain area actually sorta-kinda did (ie, if a school only has 10 grads go to a certain region, but only 11 students came from that region, it's probably a safe bet).

NYC2L

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »
I think the more important question here is what percentage of the class is truly national. At T1 schools, the top 10% of the class likely has more national reach while the rest of the class is more or less bound to their region. With schools like Vandy/GW/BU/WUSTL etc., the top 25% are probably national while the rest of class is not. The reason that the T14 is "truly national" is because a majority of the class has national reach.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
The real problem, that seems pretty much unsolvable, is that we cannot reliably quantify the self selection factor. I think the best measure would be to look at where students are sitting for the bar, but I'm not sure if even that is indicative.

mae8

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »
like most schools in that range it will be pretty national if you ahve the grades, no so much if you don't. BU places well in boston and nyc. if you have a specific market in mind that would help, a T1 in that specific market may be better than BU.

The Artist

• Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
The real problem, that seems pretty much unsolvable, is that we cannot reliably quantify the self selection factor. I think the best measure would be to look at where students are sitting for the bar, but I'm not sure if even that is indicative.

You can to an extent, like I said, by talking to career services. Also, if possible, talk to RECENT alumni working at firms in the area you wish to practice. If the school has people who actually care about being good alums (and most do) they will fill you in on their experiences getting a job in that area. If they say they were at the median and didn't have a problem, you probably are solid. If they had law review or top 10%, keep in mind you may need the same.

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »
Yeah, the self-selection thing is almost impossible to quantify. You COULD look at where the students come from, and then where they end up, but even that isn't truly indicative because plenty of people might end up wanting to stay where their law school is.