Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: sooooooo the check is due TOMORROW but im still confused TODAY!  (Read 2386 times)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: sooooooo the check is due TOMORROW but im still confused TODAY!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 10:06:08 AM »
I also was offered 30K a year at NYLS with all these fabulous looking extras thrown in, but there are big strings attached in being able to keep the scholarship after your first year.  Read it carefully.  Temple grads historically have better options than NYLS grads, and I also agree with the poster who said you will be competing in a saturated market (NYC).  The Temple name is also known nationally, although it is a mainly regional school, you can use it throughout the mid-Atlantic as well.  Be fully aware of the strings attached in accepting the NYLS scholarship, because you don't want to end up there paying full price, or even half price.

Sorry but that's not really true...

Well it is certainly more so than NYLS.

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »
Pink Cosmo:  What isn't true? 

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »
I didn't say it was a national school. I said the name was known nationally. As in people have heard of it because it is such a large university system. It's like when people are deciding between Rutgers and Seton Hall.  Most people in the country have heard of Rutgers, Seton Hall not so much.  It actually may help the OP if she is looking for a school with a little more flexibility.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 12:21:22 PM »
I agree.  I've heard of Temple.  I'm not entirely sure who or what NYLS is.
Emory '09

LSN

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »
sorry, i wasn't clear about the $$$ issue... it's 30g a year & automatic law review as a 2L, which is a pretty big draw also.  wouldn't having that on a resume (even out of nyls) look better than being a run of the mill temple grad? (which im assuming i would be based on no scholarship offer and being really average in both the gpa/lsat bracket). 

Did you send the check in?  I sent mine in.. and I have to admit, the new building is what pushed me over the edge.  Having a law school in a place where you want to get out of bed is a good thing.  On the other hand, I've heard Philly, especially where Temple is, isn't in the best place in the city.

I guess what I'm saying is... I think it comes down to how much you like NYC.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
sorry, i wasn't clear about the $$$ issue... it's 30g a year & automatic law review as a 2L, which is a pretty big draw also.  wouldn't having that on a resume (even out of nyls) look better than being a run of the mill temple grad? (which im assuming i would be based on no scholarship offer and being really average in both the gpa/lsat bracket). 

Did you send the check in?  I sent mine in.. and I have to admit, the new building is what pushed me over the edge.  Having a law school in a place where you want to get out of bed is a good thing.  On the other hand, I've heard Philly, especially where Temple is, isn't in the best place in the city.

I guess what I'm saying is... I think it comes down to how much you like NYC.

I go to temple for my grad degree now, and I can agree with this point with one caveat:  I know of almost NO graduate or law students who live there (most live in center city).  It's not the BEST area, but it is extremely safe (the Temple police force is the 3rd largest in PA, behind Philly and Pittsburgh), and the law school is literally 40 feet from the subway.

I used to live in NY, and I have come to actually like Philly a lot.

clairegreta15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 11:43:12 AM »
thanks to everyone for comments and responses  :) i actually did decide to send a check to NYLS after talking to both schools in depth.  what it came down to was a brutally honest response from both admissions guys . it sounds like i would be much better off being (hopefully-i kno this is definitely not a given) towards the top of one school than being in the middle of the pack at another.  either way i'll have to work really hard, but i would much rather be working really hard in nyc where i have my family/friends than in philly where my one and only experience involved a cop telling me if i didn't get out of that neighborhood quickly it was only a matter of time b4 something terrible happened to me.  i know that doesn't reflect on the school, but it was still really scary!

good luck to everyone else still deciding!

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 11:58:29 AM »
Obviously it's too late to make any difference, but as general advice I would tell everyone to go where you're going to have the best chance to succeed as a student who is in the middle of the class.  There are two reasons:  one, because of the way law school grading works (highly subjective + the curve), you can't count on being high in your class just because you went to a "lower" school; and two, the odds are very high that no matter where you go, you will not be in the top 10% (by definition, 90% of the students at every school are not in the top 10%, so you probably won't be).

At the same time, if you want to live/work in a certain area, if you can't get into one of the very best schools (T14 + the next 10-15 down) then you should probably go to school locally.
Emory '09

LSN

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
Ugh, choosing a lower ranked school because you believe it gives you a better chance to be at the top of the class is not a good reason. There is a whole lot of randomness in law school grades, and you will not be able to accurately pick out how well you will do based solely upon undergrad GPA and LSAT scores.

That said, it sounds like you had a ton of other factors leading you towards the choice you made, all of which are hard for others to quantify. I hope your decision works out well for you.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 11:42:04 PM »
who did you mail a check?

The place he mailed the check to is the object of the sentence, therefore WHOM is the proper term. (To) WHOM did he mail a check?