Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any paralegals/ legal assistants getting LORs from attorneys?  (Read 980 times)

jms297

• View Profile
Hi all-
  I've been working as a paralegal at a large law firm in NY for about a year, and I want to ask one of my attorneys for a LOR.  But I can't decide on who to ask: a 5th year associate who I've worked with on a daily basis and likes my work but who is known for writing harsh reviews, a 2nd year who I also work with on a daily basis who I know would write a 100% positive letter, or a Counsel who I don't have as much face time with but who I think would write a generally positive letter?  Does anyone know if the seniority of the attorney writing the LOR matters AT ALL to admissions people?
Thanks!!  ;D

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
Re: Any paralegals/ legal assistants getting LORs from attorneys?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:07:16 PM »
Hi all-
  I've been working as a paralegal at a large law firm in NY for about a year, and I want to ask one of my attorneys for a LOR.  But I can't decide on who to ask: a 5th year associate who I've worked with on a daily basis and likes my work but who is known for writing harsh reviews, a 2nd year who I also work with on a daily basis who I know would write a 100% positive letter, or a Counsel who I don't have as much face time with but who I think would write a generally positive letter?  Does anyone know if the seniority of the attorney writing the LOR matters AT ALL to admissions people?
Thanks!!  ;D

The school isn't going to know if they are a 5th year associate or a 2nd year associate unless they get on the firm's website and look up the year they graduated law school. This seems unlikely to me, although you never know.

I had a named partner write mine, but only because he's my boss and my whole job entails doing work directly for him and his department as a whole.

Go with the one who knows you best and will be able to accurately and candidly assess your abilities as they pertain to succeeding in law school. Of course, it being someone who likes your work will be an advantage because they will likely think more about your work and you as a person as opposed to just writing a vanilla rec.

Unless you're a total slacker, I can't see someone (the 5th year associate) dogging you in their letter. Don't take my word for it though. I'm a very trusting person.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards