Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Public Interest- CUNY or NYLS  (Read 739 times)

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
Public Interest- CUNY or NYLS
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »
So I am interested in public interest and I am debating between New York Law School or CUNY law. Which school do you guys think will be better? also, NYLS tuition is $45,000 meaning I will most likely graduare with a $150,00+ debt. Is this a smart move for someone who is planning to go into the public interest and most likely not start with a high salary?

roma3o

• View Profile
Re: Public Interest- CUNY or NYLS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »
It is not a smart move at all.  I think the fact that you asked that question meant you already knew the answer.  Go to the school where you will incur the least amount of debt.  Both of those schools are regional.  Public Interest is a very respectable field to go into, but it just doesnt pay well.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:23:18 PM »
I was reading one of those pamphlet/magazines published about law schools in a law school admissions office and there was a ranking with a title along the lines of 'best schools for public interest.'  The #1 ranked school was City University of New York and I remember thinking to myself "what is City University of New York."  It later occurred to me that that is what CUNY stands for, which I had no idea of before.  Anyway, I have no idea how that was the #1 but I'd try to look into that. 

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:09 PM »
yeah CUNY law is #1 at placing grads in public interest which is good. Their tuition is only $8,500 which is great when you thinking about public interest. I guess ROMA is right, I might have answered my question. However, I will take any other opinions into concideration.

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:36:43 PM »
I would definitely choose CUNY. They have an excellent reputation for public interest law. That, coupled with the significantly lower tuition, makes this close-to-a-no-brainer in my view.

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
Mconnett I see in your LSN that you got accepted to CUNY law as well congrats!!! You interested in public interest?

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »
Mconnett I see in your LSN that you got accepted to CUNY law as well congrats!!! You interested in public interest?

Yes, and actually, CUNY was my initial #1 pick last fall when I decided to go to law school. I visited the campus for an open house in December and was impressed (the professor who gave the sample class was SUPERB, and the Dean -- who I met earlier at the law forum in Boston -- is very cool.)

A bit to my surprise, however, I have decided not to go to CUNY. The primary consideration for me in declining CUNY is $$. I happened to get a few nice scholarships at some other schools, and thus, it became harder to justify spending an extra 40K to go to CUNY. I am currently planning, therefore, on going to Temple in Philly.

That all said, I don't think ANY school in this country has anything resembling the same commitment to public interest that CUNY does. It simply blows all other schools out of the water in terms of incorporating public interest into the core fabric of its mission. So, yea, I would definitely recommend it over NYLS given your interests.

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »
CUNY, not close, even if the money was equal the answer would still be CUNY.

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »

Yes, and actually, CUNY was my initial #1 pick last fall when I decided to go to law school. I visited the campus for an open house in December and was impressed (the professor who gave the sample class was SUPERB, and the Dean -- who I met earlier at the law forum in Boston -- is very cool.)

A bit to my surprise, however, I have decided not to go to CUNY. The primary consideration for me in declining CUNY is $$. I happened to get a few nice scholarships at some other schools, and thus, it became harder to justify spending an extra 40K to go to CUNY. I am currently planning, therefore, on going to Temple in Philly.

That all said, I don't think ANY school in this country has anything resembling the same commitment to public interest that CUNY does. It simply blows all other schools out of the water in terms of incorporating public interest into the core fabric of its mission. So, yea, I would definitely recommend it over NYLS given your interests.

Thank you this is very helpful info. I have not pay a visit to the school, but I definitely will very soon. I'm happy you were impressed, I Went to the High school right next to the law school, and was always intrigued by the law school, even though I never went.

rosetta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
go to CUNY Law....much better for pub interest that you have the least amount of debt possible!