Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at UCLA  (Read 4097 times)

Waiting for Those Letters

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
Waitlisted at UCLA
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:52 PM »
So, I got waitlisted today from UCLA. I was a bit shocked since my LSAT is a 157. Yes, my GPA is high (3.92). But, come on, numerous people have high GPA's and have solid LSAT scores. Not sure why they waitlisted me and not just rejected me. The only things I can think of is that I have a science minor and that my PS was pretty solid.

Is UCLA known for waitlisting more people than other schools? Should I just take this with a grain of salt?  They mentioned in the letter that applicants have not been placed in specific order on the waitlist.

So what are the chances I actually get into this school? I say .001%.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
Re: Waitlisted at UCLA
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
No, they don't rank their waitlist.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »

I am always baffled when people maintain that waitlists aren't ranked. Do adcomms pluck out people at random? No, of course not, they know some people on the list are better candidates than others and eventually call applicants up, one-at-a-time, in an order that they see fit.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cardozo Class of 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:42:46 PM »

I am always baffled when people maintain that waitlists aren't ranked. Do adcomms pluck out people at random? No, of course not, they know some people on the list are better candidates than others and eventually call applicants up, one-at-a-time, in an order that they see fit.

I agree with you! I was just saying what they wrote in the waitlist letter.

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 01:23:40 AM »
ya i was waitlisted too i feel like im going to cry

wait a minute im a boy i cant do that

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »

That's illogical. If that were true then no one on the waitlist would have better stats than anyone rejected...and clearly that's false, since not very infrequently do you find people who are rejected having better stats than people on the waitlist... therefore, ranking the WL based on stats would be a direct double standard... Think about it.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

tylersd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:31:49 PM »
I think schools try to keep a certain balance of students in the class. So I think waitlist candidates are likely chosen based on not only scores but regional/diversity factors to replace similar accepted students that decline.
WL: columbia, upenn, mich, georgetown, ucla
in: gw, fordham, bu

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:54:24 PM »
Exactly. They have their "class" in mind. One someone declines, they are probably looking for someone to fill that spot so that their "class" remains the same.

tashakies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 11:19:29 PM »
tag

notgoingtols

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
If you can, take the June LSAT.  If you do better (like in the mid-160s) they may very well consider your June score.