Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why you should be a pharmacist.  (Read 1173 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Why you should be a pharmacist.
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:37:48 PM »
-According to Yahoo! hot jobs, a retail store pharmacist in 25th percentile of income will make $98,000.  (This is based on an average of 8 cities with populations between 250,000 and 1 million.)

-I spoke with the man who is in charge of hiring pharmacists for the 12 retail stores he oversees yesterday and he said that they are now starting phramacists at 108,000 right out of school.  These pharmacists work three 12 hour shifts a week and have 4 days off.

-I checked on target.com and 11 target stores in my state are hiring pharmacists.

-The field is expected to see much higher demand as the baby boomers get older.

I'm still going to law school.  I must have something wrong with me.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Re: Why you should be a pharmacist.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:43:15 PM »
Truth.

Though the work would be boring. In most situations it would be kind of like a glorified retail clerk.
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »
Truth.

Though the work would be boring. In most situations it would be kind of like a glorified retail clerk.

Yeah.. just a medicine check out clerk.  But at least you'd have four days off to do whatever made you feel worthwhile.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »
Truth.

Yeah.. just a medicine check out clerk.  But at least you'd have four days off to do whatever made you feel worthwhile.

If that were the case I'd dig it.

I wonder how many places really offer those hours. I bet that most hire in shifts (8-5, 3-11) all week long. Which would suck.
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »
Truth.

I wonder how many places really offer those hours. I bet that most hire in shifts (8-5, 3-11) all week long. Which would suck.

That's probably true at a lot of places.   And even if you got four days off, they wouldn't be in a row.  You'd probably work Friday Saturday and Wednesday or something like that.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »
Truth.

That's probably true at a lot of places.   And even if you got four days off, they wouldn't be in a row.  You'd probably work Friday Saturday and Wednesday or something like that.

My fiancee is in her last year of pharmacy school, and the shifts at retail range from 8hrs for 5 days/week, 10/4 or 12/3 depending on your desire and the company.  Overtime is paid to them at $100/hr (double their "hourly" wage when you divide the salary by hours).

Oh, and she isn't even out of school yet and has 3 offers, each one being over 120k/yr.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:35:46 PM »
Interesting.  What is pharmacy school like?  Close to med school or not so much?
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »
No extra drugs...well, at least not after I'm done with them!

She loves pharmacy school.  It's a lot more chemistry than med school, for obvious reasons.  Interestingly enough, she takes a LOT of diagnostic coursework as well; they take more courses in diagnostics than med students do in pharmacy and drugs.  In fact, half the time I think she's in med school.

The coolest thing she is doing is a rotation and partial residency in veterinary pharmacy at Penn vet school.  Awesomeness (especially since, because she does it for free, we get severely discounted vet care at Penn).

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »
Pharmacists hit a glass ceiling pretty quick (it's a high ceiling though).  Dentistry is the real racket.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »
Pharmacists hit a glass ceiling pretty quick (it's a high ceiling though).  Dentistry is the real racket.

They do hit a ceiling, but that's ok.  Plus, they get - at least at the company she wants to work for - a 3% raise every year for the first 10, then a different scheme.  There is one pharmacist at her store that makes over 200k after overtime.

All without having billable hours =)