Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Indiana-Bloomington vs. Mcgeorge (possibly LLS or USD)  (Read 527 times)

davidk83

• View Profile
    • Email
Indiana-Bloomington vs. Mcgeorge (possibly LLS or USD)
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
Hello,

I donít really post that often, but I need some help guys. I was pretty much thinking I was gonna go to Mcgeorge this fall because I had only gotten waitlists and rejections and the only schools I had left were IUB, Univ San Diego and Loyola Law School.  I had already gotten waitlisted at USF so I figured I was going to get rejected from these schools, but I got my IUB acceptance last Friday. YAY.  By the way my gpa was 2.44 and my LSAT is 165.  I thought I had no chance at this school.  So hereís the dilemma.  I know it sounds stupid, but would I be dumb for going to Loyola or San Diego if I were to get accepted? What if I were to ask Mcgeorge for more money and they gave it to me?  Mcgeorge is offering 10k a year, and IUB is 24k over 3 years and I have to maintain 3.2 gpa. 
Things to consider:
Iíve never lived outside of California and I want to live here after I graduate.  (How does IUB place in California?)
My family and friends all live in California.
My gf is in California and if I did go to IUB we would have to break up, and I donít want to
I donít know about living in Indiana ( I would know nobody)

Some additional questions
1.   How hard is it to maintain a 3.2 GPA at IUB?
2.   How hard do you think it would be for me to find a job in California after I graduate from IUB?
3.   How hard is it to get in-state-tuition after a year at IUB? People say its hard but not impossible, but what exactly does that mean?

THANKS GUYS

Hubel123

• View Profile
Re: Indiana-Bloomington vs. Mcgeorge (possibly LLS or USD)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
I went to IU as an undergrad and here are my two cents.

Positives
- Bloomington is a great town. Known as one of the great college towns and very liberal, which is not what you would expect in southern Indiana.  Though if you're into the LA type club scene this isn't going to be your town.
- The campus and surrounding areas are beautiful. Tons of hiking, parks, and national forests in the immediate area.
- The school is great and is where I was originally planning on going.
- IU basketball. Though they may be rebuilding while you're there.
- Great placement in Indianapolis in case you ever decide you're tired of the traffic and want to buy a large house for the same price as a dump in California.

Negatives
- If you're from LA or further south it will seem cold.
- Probably not the best placement in California. According to NALP two California firms interview there.
- I don't think you'll get instate tuition. I'm not an expert but everyone I knew that was out of state in undergrad paid out of state the whole time. Now if you marry the girlfriend, move her out here, and have her get a job you may be able to do it.

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »
Hello,

I donít really post that often, but I need some help guys. I was pretty much thinking I was gonna go to Mcgeorge this fall because I had only gotten waitlists and rejections and the only schools I had left were IUB, Univ San Diego and Loyola Law School.  I had already gotten waitlisted at USF so I figured I was going to get rejected from these schools, but I got my IUB acceptance last Friday. YAY.  By the way my gpa was 2.44 and my LSAT is 165.  I thought I had no chance at this school.  So hereís the dilemma.  I know it sounds stupid, but would I be dumb for going to Loyola or San Diego if I were to get accepted? What if I were to ask Mcgeorge for more money and they gave it to me?  Mcgeorge is offering 10k a year, and IUB is 24k over 3 years and I have to maintain 3.2 gpa. 
Things to consider:
Iíve never lived outside of California and I want to live here after I graduate.  (How does IUB place in California?)
My gf is in California and if I did go to IUB we would have to break up, and I donít want to

2.   How hard do you think it would be for me to find a job in California after I graduate from IUB?
3.   How hard is it to get in-state-tuition after a year at IUB? People say its hard but not impossible, but what exactly does that mean?

THANKS GUYS

I can't really address many of the other questions, but just wanted to let you know that 3.2 is approximately IUB's median GPA. I visited IUB, so if you haven't and have any questions about what it was like let me know, and I'd be happy to help!
Emory 3L

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
Hello,

Things to consider:

THANKS GUYS

If you want to work in California, IUB will not situate you any better than LLS or USD. IMO, IUB is not national enough to make it worth leaving your home state and your girlfriend. It would be different if you were considering Notre Dame.

davidk83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
really? hmm but if it was that vs. mcgeorge, it would be a much easier choice right?  thanks for the info guys.

i also think a girlfriend will be a distraction. what do you guys think?

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
Tough call.   I really loved IU when I visited (almost went there).  I think Cali would be "doable" but definitely would need to put in effort and do decently.   

If you want to read my impressions of IU after I visited, check out this old thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,55266.0.html
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk