Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Is the USA the greatest country on earth?

The US is the greatest country on earth and will always be the greatest.
 11 (22%)
The US is the greatest country on earth, but not by much.
 9 (18%)
Maybe, but not for long.
 8 (16%)
The US is a middle of the road country with a powerful military.
 15 (30%)
No, the US is bad.
 1 (2%)
The people are the greatest, but the government isn't.
 5 (10%)
The government is the greatest, but the people arent.
 1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Is America #1  (Read 9771 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is America #1
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »
I realize it might be hard to define "greatest", so use whatever definition you're comfortable with.

(EDIT)

If the USA isn't the greatest, then what country is and why?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is America #1
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:33:18 AM »
you should add, "if not, who is?"

Good idea.   I fixed it.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:25:18 PM »
Rofl!

Why do some of us continue to think in such simplistic terms? What does it mean for a country to be "great" or "the greatest?"

I mean, I like it here well enough, but I'm not going to pretend that it's really better here than it is in a lot of places, despite what we've been conditioned to believe growing up (and beyond).

And besides, how many of us really have a basis for comparison?
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »
I'll withhold comment.

(Except to say the Giants lucked their way into a championship, and all other NY teams suck)
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »
Rofl!

Why do some of us continue to think in such simplistic terms? What does it mean for a country to be "great" or "the greatest?"

I mean, I like it here well enough, but I'm not going to pretend that it's really better here than it is in a lot of places, despite what we've been conditioned to believe growing up (and beyond).

And besides, how many of us really have a basis for comparison?

I'm looking for opinions based on whatever experience you have.   I'm not interested in real facts as much as I am interested in how people on here feel about the US.
I've spent more than two years living and working in foreign countries and I was quite happy, but I'm a generally happy person.

In terms of judging a country, I define "great" as: Provides the most opportunities for an Average Joe or Josephine.

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »
Why does Joe come before Josephine?

>:(
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 12:38:45 PM »

Because he's a sexist pig.

who are you calling a pig?   8)

Man Crush

• Sr. Citizen
  • I ♥ DWill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
I wasn't born here but I love this country and all of the opportunities it provides.  I mean, as much as I disagree with AA (and I don't want an AA discussion) this country does so much in an effort to give everyone an opportunity.  I lived in Canada for a couple of years and lived in England for 6 and I much prefer it here.  

I still loved the unique aspects about England and Canada but I love the opportunities available to people here.  Canada I would think gives people the most opportunities outside of the USA but I still prefer all the educational resources that come with a larger populated country like the USA.  

I love the ethnic qualities of other countries that I have lived in and visited and enjoyed my time in all of them but overall I just think this is the best country to live in and raise a family.  England is landlocked and cost of living is out of control.  Not to mention the way immigration is killing Britain and the healthcare for the elderly sucks there.  I definitely want to be here as I head into my old age.

Another thing great about the USA is in England you have tests during your schooling growing up which puts you into different levels of schooling and can have a big role concerning your future career path and what options you have.  Here, everyone gets the same schooling until the end of High School and the same opportunities to attend colleges/universities.  Starting up your own business is also much easier here.

I have other reasons I prefer it here but they are more personal but may not apply to all.  I just think it's important to remember that while it's fun to visit a country and you enjoy the people, the food, the history etc. it is not the same as living and working there.  Even then, other countries will provide a great life but personally I believe none better than the USA.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-------------------

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »

Um, you.

Jackass.

That was a joke..  See what I did there?  you called me a sexist pig, and I only asked you about the pig part..  sorry.   

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »

Um, you.

Jackass.

That was a joke..  See what I did there?  you called me a sexist pig, and I only asked you about the pig part..  sorry.   

I llolerskated.

"Filet a' Fish."

"No."