Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT 1L's give 0L's suggestions for next year  (Read 22219 times)

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: ITT 1L's give 0L's suggestions for next year
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2008, 07:31:57 AM »
It's been my experience that once you get past 1L hell, most of the hide-the-ball nonsense goes away.  Even when the profs use the Socratic method, it's done in such a way that you understand what the correct answer is at the end of it.  It's not nearly so annoying that way.

I wonder if other people people have noticed the same thing.
Emory '09

LSN

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »
bump for 1L lurkers.
T'50 Class of 2011

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »
So far I cannot tell at all what my professors plan to put on the exams. None ever seems to say anything remotely relevant that isn't also in the book. I keep listening for "issues" they seem keen on and as far as I can tell, there are none, except I know my K prof thinks consideration - which we've spent 3 weeks on - is largely antiquated.
I hope this all becomes more obvious as the semester progresses because as it stands, there's nothing to put in an outline (and I therefore call bull on all classmates who claim to have started outlining already) and nothing that will yet enable me to answer a question any more impressively than that LSAT writing sample.

Or maybe it's just me sucking at law school.

Maybe it is just you.

Just Kidding! Love you!
Tulane c/o 2011

Eggshell Shin Vosburg

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2008, 02:40:10 AM »
So far I cannot tell at all what my professors plan to put on the exams. None ever seems to say anything remotely relevant that isn't also in the book. I keep listening for "issues" they seem keen on and as far as I can tell, there are none, except I know my K prof thinks consideration - which we've spent 3 weeks on - is largely antiquated.
I hope this all becomes more obvious as the semester progresses because as it stands, there's nothing to put in an outline (and I therefore call bull on all classmates who claim to have started outlining already) and nothing that will yet enable me to answer a question any more impressively than that LSAT writing sample.

Or maybe it's just me sucking at law school.

Get old outlines from 2Ls and rewrite them, don't write your own. Usually you can find one that matches to the way you think, and it may help you put the pieces together logically.

As for what's on the tests: Look at old exams. If they don't have old exams, you're probably screwed. Ask around and find out if they teach to exams or just pull crap out of nowhere. Don't just assume it's going to be taught in class. (Don't worry about looking at old exams until near the finals, you'll forget it all if you worry about it now).

You will have classmates that are outlining now, and they're morons. You can't have any idea how the pieces fit together yet. Unless they're taking notes in a general outline form, they're wasting their time.

BarryLaine

• Sr. Citizen
  • "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »
tag. 

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »
On GPA and LSAT when applying to law school:
1) High LSAT may overcome low undergraduate GPA.
2) High undergraduate GPA rarely overcomes low LSAT.

On 2L job search: On personality and grades:
1) High GPA (from T2 or above) often overcomes lack of personality.
2) Personality rarely overcomes lack of grades (low GPA).

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2008, 07:06:07 AM »
1. Go to class every day. Period. You don't need to brief cases, just know facts, issue, reasoning-highlight and color code the case with quick notes in the margin to refer to.
2. Keep up on the reading assignments and use supplements to assist. The worst thing to do is not prepare and be called on...there is one guy in my class who has been nailed for this in two different classes and both times admitted he hadn't read the material. Professors take that as an insult.
3. Don't be the guy/gal who has to comment 3 times every class--it is annoying and you will lose respect with your classmates.
4. Don't wait too long to begin your outlines. Those who say you can wait until November are feeding you a line. End of September is a good time to get started.
5. Keep a positive mental attitude. There will be days when you doubt your decision and capabilities. They will be cancelled out by the days that you "get it." Remember, you wouldn't be here if they didn't think you could do this.
6. Whatever you do, don't fall behind. You will be scrambling to catch up which will drive up the anxiety/fear factor.
WVU Class of 2011