Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT 1L's give 0L's suggestions for next year  (Read 21969 times)

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT 1L's give 0L's suggestions for next year
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »
One piece of advice: before you open that web browser during class, think about who's behind you and what they're about to see. There was this one girl in my section who I have never spoken to, but I know SO much about her, because she surfs the net non-stop. I know that she's getting married, where she's having the rehearsal dinner, what photographer she's using, etc. I know that she uses a Marriot Visa because she paid the bill during Crim last semester. She also likes to look at shoes.

And then there's the guy who sat in front of me in Torts who looked at the same girl on Facebook EVERY DAY...

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »
Law school is going to be awesome...for those of us that have spent time in the real world...

Its going to be a lot like Billy Madison I think...I hope...

Or that film with Drew Barrymore...Never Been Kissed I think...(I've kissed before though)

Or 21 Jump Street...
how about ghostbusters?

or nightmare on elm street?

or she's the man?

or top gun?  I think its mostly like top gun.  Minus the fighter planes and everything cool associated with that movie.  Especially "highway to the danger zone."  that song doesn't play in law school. 

The theme in the films that I quoted is that they all have characters that go back to school later in life...they didn't do that in Ghostbusters or Nightmare or Top Gun, but I haven't seen She's the Man...(that would just be weird).
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »
Impressive.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2008, 07:25:07 PM »
what. the. hell.

yeah, admonitions to not drunkenly throw up on your classmates while hooking up with them are pretty low on the "advice i need" scale.

Hey, speak for yourself. I'm writing this *&^% down.
Tulane c/o 2011

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »
One piece of advice: before you open that web browser during class, think about who's behind you and what they're about to see. There was this one girl in my section who I have never spoken to, but I know SO much about her, because she surfs the net non-stop. I know that she's getting married, where she's having the rehearsal dinner, what photographer she's using, etc. I know that she uses a Marriot Visa because she paid the bill during Crim last semester. She also likes to look at shoes.

And then there's the guy who sat in front of me in Torts who looked at the same girl on Facebook EVERY DAY...

SO TRUE. I know way more than I want to about a lot of my classmates.

And for goodness sakes turn off your computer volume if you're on gchat! And if you are on gchat - be careful - your professors obviously know you're not giggling at what they're saying!

There's a classroom at my school where the back wall is all windows and everyone's back faces it. I didn't realize until 2nd semester that the profs see EVERYTHING from the reflection in the windows.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
tag

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2008, 10:48:12 PM »
or top gun?  I think its mostly like top gun.  Minus the fighter planes and everything cool associated with that movie.  Especially "highway to the danger zone."  that song doesn't play in law school. 

shouldn't "Highway to the Danger Zone" sort of be the theme for law school?  or at least for the summer before 1L?

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2008, 11:44:07 PM »

shouldn't "Highway to the Danger Zone" sort of be the theme for law school?  or at least for the summer before 1L?

true.  it seems like a good fit for the summer before.  once a couple months have gone its more like dylan's knocking on heaven's door.  law school 1 happiness 0

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »
The classes I did best at last semester were classes in which I was able to get a sense of the professor's systematic method of analysis. The second best way to do this is to note the questions the professor asks, then, after a month or so, go back and read those questions; you'll pick up on the patterns. The best way is if they just tell you right up front, which some of them will.

Also, don't let the first few weeks of Con Law get to you too much. When you really dig into them, the decisions have a much more arbitrary flavor to them than you'll expect. The trick is to keep in mind that the Court's underlying reasoning (if it's in fact reasoning and not something else) is rarely made explicit in the opinions. By the end of the semester it'll be your favorite class.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2008, 12:10:54 AM »
The classes I did best at last semester were classes in which I was able to get a sense of the professor's systematic method of analysis. The second best way to do this is to note the questions the professor asks, then, after a month or so, go back and read those questions; you'll pick up on the patterns. The best way is if they just tell you right up front, which some of them will.

Also, don't let the first few weeks of Con Law get to you too much. When you really dig into them, the decisions have a much more arbitrary flavor to them than you'll expect. The trick is to keep in mind that the Court's underlying reasoning (if it's in fact reasoning and not something else) is rarely made explicit in the opinions. By the end of the semester it'll be your favorite class.

not for me!
Columbia 3L