Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missouri--Kansas City quandary  (Read 829 times)

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Missouri--Kansas City quandary
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »
According to this study: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045   The statistical difference between Missouri-Columbia, U of Kansas, and UMKC is negligible.   What gives?  I thought that U of Kansas and Mo-Columbia had the pick of the best jobs in Kansas City.  I have also heard lots of bad things about UMKC, anyone have any solid info?
University of Oklahoma '11

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
Re: Missouri--Kansas City quandary
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
UMKC (both law and UG) has a lot of local ties to firms in Kansas City. Tons of senior partners, hiring partners, named partners etc. went to UMKC and it seems they have sort of a soft spot for the school. Plus, it's actually in Kansas City so if you went there and are looking for a job in KC, it's easy for a firm to assume you are committed to the city (as opposed to just the midwest region in general).

I know a few people who go there and love it. It seems much more laid back than some of the ultra-competitve Tier 3's. I don't know that I've ever heard anything bad about it.

From what I've seen working at a top local firm, KU, MU and UMKC seem to do about equally in KC. Alumni from all three are prevalent at all of the firms.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »
UMKC (both law and UG) has a lot of local ties to firms in Kansas City. Tons of senior partners, hiring partners, named partners etc. went to UMKC and it seems they have sort of a soft spot for the school. Plus, it's actually in Kansas City so if you went there and are looking for a job in KC, it's easy for a firm to assume you are committed to the city (as opposed to just the midwest region in general).

I know a few people who go there and love it. It seems much more laid back than some of the ultra-competitve Tier 3's. I don't know that I've ever heard anything bad about it.

From what I've seen working at a top local firm, KU, MU and UMKC seem to do about equally in KC. Alumni from all three are prevalent at all of the firms.

Thanks for the advice.  Research I have done about hiring #'s and partners have proven that UMKC does really well in KC even at the biggest firms so your advice confirms that.  I have heard from 2 students in particular that didn't have one good thing to say about the school.  One was even transferring to Tulsa because he disliked it so much.  I don't understand his logic on that, but out of 500 students a fair number are gonna be pissed about something I guess...

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
Haha I know someone who is at Tulsa trying to transfer to UMKC. How ironic.

And yes, out of the whole student body some are bound to be unhappy. Have you visited to see for yourself?
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 05:35:54 PM »

And yes, out of the whole student body some are bound to be unhappy. Have you visited to see for yourself?

Not yet, if they accept me and I can get residency or scholar$$$ I will make the 5hr drive.  I have actually spent ALOT of time in KC, have some friends there, and love the town.  That was the only reason that I applied there and the school does well in KC and the midwest.  I would really consider moving to KC if things worked out and I didn't get into OU or Arkansas...  I would even go to UMKC at full price(with residency) and give up my scholarship at OCU...

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »
anyone know the particulars about gaining missouri residency?  Couldn't find any definitive answers online....

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »
I think you can after your first year, but I would call the financial aid office and ask.

They offered me in-state tuition but told me I'd need to move to MO for my first year(from KS) to continue getting it.

Kingdom of Lizards

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »
Missouri is one of the easiest states to gain in-state residency.  As far as I know, you just have to live here for twelve months.  Registering your car and all of that may be helpful too.

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
I go to Mizzou from Illinois. I am sure the requirements are the same.

The primary things they look at is:

If you lived here for 12 months.
If you made more then $2,000 while in Missouri.

Then if you register to vote, register your car, get a new ID.

You apply during your 3rd semester.

Not too dificult

zar090

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »