Law School Discussion

papercranes wants you to weigh in: USC v BC ($$$)

Re: papercranes wants you to weigh in: USC v BC ($$$)
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
The OP will be sold on USC after USC ASD. Watch.

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 01:18:13 PM »
USC with or without $$$. 

It's the second largest city in the country, and USC is the just-slightly-2nd-place school in the region.  The contacts you can make, particularly if you read Matthies threads ;-) are clearly superior to BC.  Plus, I've lived in Boston, and you and I both being Eastern Canadian gals (well, granted I'm just pseudo Canandian) SoCal beats Beantown hands down.  Besides, it's Newton, not Boston, and that's all the negatives with no benefits. Plus, while planning for USC and maybe a WL in the area will open up and it won't be such a hassle.  Go to USC.  Really.

The issue of "making connections" through a person's alumni affiliations is completely overtalked; school affiliation, in my experience, seems to play a less significant role in making connections than, say, a person's personality and demeanor.

Another point: you said it yourself frybead: you do have a tendency to romanticize US cities. Who is to say you are not romanticizing los angeles? I have lived here (LA) for the past 12 months (SF valley) and, frankly, this place can be miserable. The state and city tax everything, the traffic is the worst in the country, and housing and rental prices are exorbitant. Without a doubt, it'd be somewhat nifty to live here during law school (it'd sure by easy when your rent when your monthly living expenses are doled out by loan agencies); but my biggest concern is: what would live after law school be like?

You have NOT lived in LA my friend. San Fernando Valley is a place you drive though and perhaps stop by to get gas. Move  to the west side.

I don't see what point you are trying to make. The OP will not be living on the westside if he/she goes to usc. And, besides, the argument you're making is like saying that someone hasn't lived in boston if they've only lived in Newton (and not on beacon street).

You won't be able to own sh*t on the westside coming out of law school. And my whole point is that LA is not a place you want to end up after law school. Sure, los angeles has great places to live; if you want to pay through the nose for a rental, then go for it...

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »

Why isn't LA a place you don't want to end up after law school?

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »

Why isn't LA a place you don't want to end up after law school?

You mean why isn't it a place you want to end up? Read my first post in this thread.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
and yes, MBW is correct with the hidden-alterior-motive of waiting on that other LA school's waitlist until the last possible second. I wouldn't be able to take that opportunity from Boston, if it happened to come up.

I'm not so sure that this is completely true.  You'd still be able to go at the last second, but it would just be a bit of a pain in the ass to get things set up out there (housing, etc.).  But if you know people out in LA, that makes a last-second switch more feasible.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 07:47:38 AM »
Her scholarship offer might become binding at some point?

Oh.  Hmmm, good point.  Is that the case cranes?

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
USC with or without $$$. 

It's the second largest city in the country, and USC is the just-slightly-2nd-place school in the region.  The contacts you can make, particularly if you read Matthies threads ;-) are clearly superior to BC.  Plus, I've lived in Boston, and you and I both being Eastern Canadian gals (well, granted I'm just pseudo Canandian) SoCal beats Beantown hands down.  Besides, it's Newton, not Boston, and that's all the negatives with no benefits. Plus, while planning for USC and maybe a WL in the area will open up and it won't be such a hassle.  Go to USC.  Really.

The issue of "making connections" through a person's alumni affiliations is completely overtalked; school affiliation, in my experience, seems to play a less significant role in making connections than, say, a person's personality and demeanor.

Another point: you said it yourself frybead: you do have a tendency to romanticize US cities. Who is to say you are not romanticizing los angeles? I have lived here (LA) for the past 12 months (SF valley) and, frankly, this place can be miserable. The state and city tax everything, the traffic is the worst in the country, and housing and rental prices are exorbitant. Without a doubt, it'd be somewhat nifty to live here during law school (it'd sure by easy when your rent when your monthly living expenses are doled out by loan agencies); but my biggest concern is: what would live after law school be like?

You have NOT lived in LA my friend. San Fernando Valley is a place you drive though and perhaps stop by to get gas. Move  to the west side.

I don't see what point you are trying to make. The OP will not be living on the westside if he/she goes to usc. And, besides, the argument you're making is like saying that someone hasn't lived in boston if they've only lived in Newton (and not on beacon street).

You won't be able to own sh*t on the westside coming out of law school. And my whole point is that LA is not a place you want to end up after law school. Sure, los angeles has great places to live; if you want to pay through the nose for a rental, then go for it...

Lots of my friends live on the west side. Anyway, this thread wasn't designed to talk about the highlights of LA versus Boston. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of LA, but that's by far the minority view in my class. Many people love it. Your idea of what's good and what's not doesn't have to match up with theirs.

Sergio

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
I agree with cosmo that Boston can be difficult for someone without connections to the city.  They tend to take care of their own.  But if papercranes goes to BC, she meets people and makes those connections.

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »
USC with or without $$$. 

Lots of my friends live on the west side. Anyway, this thread wasn't designed to talk about the highlights of LA versus Boston. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of LA, but that's by far the minority view in my class. Many people love it. Your idea of what's good and what's not doesn't have to match up with theirs.

Actually, the question "which city is better," whatever issues that question is meant to address, happens to be a very critical one for the purpose of deciding where one ought to go to school. The fact that the minority view is that LA isn't a desirable place to live really means nothing; like I said, it's pretty posh to be a law student, as all financial responsibilities are taken care of when you are in school.

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
I agree with cosmo that Boston can be difficult for someone without connections to the city.  They tend to take care of their own.  But if papercranes goes to BC, she meets people and makes those connections.

What are you talking about, "taking care of their own?" What's your basis for having this opinion?