Law School Discussion

papercranes wants you to weigh in: USC v BC ($$$)

Re: papercranes wants you to weigh in: USC v BC ($$$)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 06:39:04 AM »
BC right now.  I think USC with 30k would be an equal offer as far as finances/job prospects go.

TTCR

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 11:44:04 AM »
PCranes -- you and I had to make almost the exact same decision.  You know which one I chose, even though I do want to work in California, but am open to work just about anywhere (as long as it's on a coast  :D).  I love the weather in CA, but I didn't love the cost of living, and the fact that in LA you really have to drive everywhere you go.  But damned if it wasn't a tough decision because I love to surf, and I love the sun, haha.

GL with your decision though.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:26:24 AM »
USC with or without $$$. 

It's the second largest city in the country, and USC is the just-slightly-2nd-place school in the region.  The contacts you can make, particularly if you read Matthies threads ;-) are clearly superior to BC.  Plus, I've lived in Boston, and you and I both being Eastern Canadian gals (well, granted I'm just pseudo Canandian) SoCal beats Beantown hands down.  Besides, it's Newton, not Boston, and that's all the negatives with no benefits. Plus, while planning for USC and maybe a WL in the area will open up and it won't be such a hassle.  Go to USC.  Really.

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 12:46:51 AM »
USC with or without $$$. 

It's the second largest city in the country, and USC is the just-slightly-2nd-place school in the region.  The contacts you can make, particularly if you read Matthies threads ;-) are clearly superior to BC.  Plus, I've lived in Boston, and you and I both being Eastern Canadian gals (well, granted I'm just pseudo Canandian) SoCal beats Beantown hands down.  Besides, it's Newton, not Boston, and that's all the negatives with no benefits. Plus, while planning for USC and maybe a WL in the area will open up and it won't be such a hassle.  Go to USC.  Really.

You know, you don't have to live in Newton.  And USC's in South Central, not real LA. You pay LA prices without the bars that Paris Hilton goes to. All the negatives with no benefits. And BC is the 2nd place school in the region to some place called Harvard.  But I hear those folks go all over the country, so you compete with them anywhere. 

And one more thing -- USC isn't universally recognized as a truly great school by all hiring firms outside the west coast.  In seeking advice from a hiring partner at a firm here in Chicago -- "If Andrew is considering USC, I'd say he should hold off till he can look at some top 20 schools".  USC sadly is still (to some) the University of Spoiled Children.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »
USC with or without $$$. 

You know, you don't have to live in Newton.

No, but then you're dealing with Boston traffic or the Green Line. 

And USC's in South Central, not real LA. You pay LA prices without the bars that Paris Hilton goes to. All the negatives with no benefits.

Who is Paris Hilton (okay, she's some controversial celeb, right?) Why would I want to go to her bars?

Last I checked, the weather throughout LA was pretty much the same all around the region.   And yes, snow, ice and freezing temperatures six month out of the year have their charms, for about a month.  And Boston sucks at snow removal.  By February there are brown berms three feet high everywhere.  Outdoor activities are limited from Dec-March, so you'd better be interested in your gym if you want to keep fit.

And BC is the 2nd place school in the region to some place called Harvard.  But I hear those folks go all over the country, so you compete with them anywhere. 

And one more thing -- USC isn't universally recognized as a truly great school by all hiring firms outside the west coast.  In seeking advice from a hiring partner at a firm here in Chicago -- "If Andrew is considering USC, I'd say he should hold off till he can look at some top 20 schools".  USC sadly is still (to some) the University of Spoiled Children.

Yes, yes, BC is great, but you still compete with BU (last I checked, they were still ranked higher), plus every other T14er who has some romantic notion of Boston.  Yeah, that last one is the same for LA, but SoCal is huge, both in population and size, and there just aren't enough top-tier law schools in the area to fill the needs out here.  USC has an elevated position, particularly if you're considering living on the Left Coast after school.

My 5th gen California Berkeley-UG/UCLA-grad alum spouse calls USC UG the University of Second Chance, although he really wants me to consider their law school should we decide to settle in California. 

BTW, did you ask that same hiring partner in Chicago about BC?  I have to be honest and say that I had to go look up BCs  (and BUs) rank, as I had not a clue, despite looking intensely at Tier 1 schools for the past 8 months.  I just have no interest in returning to Boston - five years UG and after, plus three years more recently due to spouse's employment, was enough to rid me of any romantic notions of life in Boston.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
crap.  frybread makes me super worried about living in boston.

I'm sorry.  You know, I loved it when I was there for UG, but when I moved back to Cambridge in my early 30s, I realized I had overly romanticized it, and quickly came to dislike it.  So much so, that we moved to DownEast Maine, another mistake, at the first opportunity.  (Fortunately, we got smart and moved down to Portland, my ancestral home, and a very livable small city.)

From what I know of you, confused, you might be better off waiting and retaking than going to BC, and not because there's anything wrong with BC.  I just agree with Cosmo, that it's not for everyone (and I wasn't even an interloper, as my white side of the family has lived in New England from 1620, my Indian side, well, much longer.)  Even if I get a 180 with my retake, I'm not applying to Harvard.  I just can't see myself ever wanting to live in Boston again. 

filet o' fish

• yum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 11:51:12 AM »
Is there really an argument that LA > Boston?

Because, I mean, that just isn't true. Just about the only thing LA has over Boston is the weather. Other than that, I'd rather live in Baghdad*.

*Not really, but you get my point.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »
USC with or without $$$. 

The issue of "making connections" through a person's alumni affiliations is completely overtalked; school affiliation, in my experience, seems to play a less significant role in making connections than, say, a person's personality and demeanor.

Another point: you said it yourself frybead: you do have a tendency to romanticize US cities. Who is to say you are not romanticizing los angeles? I have lived here (LA) for the past 12 months (SF valley) and, frankly, this place can be miserable. The state and city tax everything, the traffic is the worst in the country, and housing and rental prices are exorbitant. Without a doubt, it'd be somewhat nifty to live here during law school (it'd sure by easy when your rent when your monthly living expenses are doled out by loan agencies); but my biggest concern is: what would live after law school be like?

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
USC with or without $$$. 

The issue of "making connections" through a person's alumni affiliations is completely overtalked; school affiliation, in my experience, seems to play a less significant role in making connections than, say, a person's personality and demeanor.

Another point: you said it yourself frybead: you do have a tendency to romanticize US cities. Who is to say you are not romanticizing los angeles? I have lived here (LA) for the past 12 months (SF valley) and, frankly, this place can be miserable. The state and city tax everything, the traffic is the worst in the country, and housing and rental prices are exorbitant. Without a doubt, it'd be somewhat nifty to live here during law school (it'd sure by easy when your rent when your monthly living expenses are doled out by loan agencies); but my biggest concern is: what would live after law school be like?

You have NOT lived in LA my friend. San Fernando Valley is a place you drive though and perhaps stop by to get gas. Move  to the west side.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 12:53:19 PM »

Oh, god, sorry if I gave the impression that I was romanticizing LA.  I actually don't care much for LA (much prefer the central and northern CA coasts,) but I do know PC has family there and would happily attend that other LA school.  Thing is, there are lots of good places in central and southern Cal, as well as the rest of the Southwest, where a USC degree would play well.

Maybe I've read this all wrong.  Maybe PC isn't more inclined towards California than she is New England.  I just thought that she was for some reason.