Law School Discussion

Poll

Would someone who doesn't have a job yet handing you her or his business card make you think better or worse of her or him?

a. better
20 (23.8%)
b. worse
45 (53.6%)
c. no effect
19 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Business cards: yay or nay?

Re: Business cards: yay or nay?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »
Lawyer you met at a school function: “You sound like someone who might fit with our firm, here’s may card, can I get your contact information?”

Why wouldn't you just contact him using his contact information to send him your contact information?  Plus this might have the advantage of turning a one-time meeting into more of an ongoing communication, don't you think?

Obviously, you have more experience with the networking thing than I do, but I highly doubt that the lack of business cards is fatal.

You should always follow up, even if you did not given them a card. But its makes it easier to do so when you can say I'm XXX we met and I gave you my card, rather than I'm that guy do you remeber me? Plus the etiqiuette things as well. There is a reason why big firms are paying out the nose for biz etiquette classes (see Above the Law). Because new associates are embarrassing themselves and the firm in front of lawyers, judges and clients.

Well of course if you write it as "do you remember me" then it sounds bad.  On the other hand, if you say "we talked about kayaking" or some crap then it might not be quite so bad.  And honestly I think from an etiquette angle it's understandable if you don't have a card since you're a student.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »
I applied to MBA programs this cycle as well and every student I met at the schools I visited had a business card. The schools actually provide each student with a box of 1000 X School business cards when you enroll. I was surprised when it was not the same for Law School Students. Finding a job and getting business from clients is all about networking and business cards is a great way to get your foot in the door. Get a business card if your school doesn't provide it and make the best use of them.

EDIT: Im going to Law School.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
I don't understand why people are forced to eat with their coats on. That's just cruel.

Re: cards for students, I'm surprised by the resistance to them. Look at it as a contact card; why wouldn't you want contacts to be able to get in touch with you? Would one be more inclined to whip out a cell phone and say, "Give me your number, then I'll call you so you'll have my number!"
Not offering a card in return feels awkward to me, like, "Thanks. I'll take yours but don't feel invested enough to reciprocate."

I don't see anything gauche about these (or the one on the right, anyway)

Popular among artists, hobbyists, professionals, college students and retirees, Crane’s personalized calling cards are available in a variety of bright and subtle colors, shapes, and sizes. Typestyles can be contemporary or traditional, with many design layouts to fit one’s personal style. Most calling cards can be ordered with matching envelopes so they can easily double as elegant gift cards, with plenty of room on the back for a quick message.

"Our calling cards are a great gift for a recent college grad ready to start job-hunting,” notes Kuntze. “In fact, they are very popular with job hunters who don't want to use the business card from their current position."

I actually kind of like your suggestion.  I suppose the idea of calling them "business cards" is what bothers me.  Calling cards seem fine enough, so long as they don't make you look like a kid in school who's trying to play grown-up.

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »
Name, email and phone # seems very plain, but I guess thats all you need. What about putting your school name or logo in place of a company one?

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »
I don't understand why people are forced to eat with their coats on. That's just cruel.

Re: cards for students, I'm surprised by the resistance to them. Look at it as a contact card; why wouldn't you want contacts to be able to get in touch with you? Would one be more inclined to whip out a cell phone and say, "Give me your number, then I'll call you so you'll have my number!"
Not offering a card in return feels awkward to me, like, "Thanks. I'll take yours but don't feel invested enough to reciprocate."

I don't see anything gauche about these (or the one on the right, anyway)

Popular among artists, hobbyists, professionals, college students and retirees, Crane’s personalized calling cards are available in a variety of bright and subtle colors, shapes, and sizes. Typestyles can be contemporary or traditional, with many design layouts to fit one’s personal style. Most calling cards can be ordered with matching envelopes so they can easily double as elegant gift cards, with plenty of room on the back for a quick message.

"Our calling cards are a great gift for a recent college grad ready to start job-hunting,” notes Kuntze. “In fact, they are very popular with job hunters who don't want to use the business card from their current position."

I actually kind of like your suggestion.  I suppose the idea of calling them "business cards" is what bothers me.  Calling cards seem fine enough, so long as they don't make you look like a kid in school who's trying to play grown-up.

Wouldn't you want a mailing address as well as a school name?  Seems as though a contact might find your card and not remember who the heck this person was.  It happens to me enough with cards that do have context, and this card has none so I think it would very easily be forgotten.

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 06:36:54 PM »
I vote "yay" on business/contact cards!

I mean... why not have them at least if someone asks?!

I agree--I can't really see why this would hurt you.

I don't think that any prospective employer would judge you harshly for trying to have a professional image.

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 06:48:22 PM »
What is the opinion on putting the school name on a contact card if the school doesn't provide cards?

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 06:54:38 PM »
Use your school email addy.

I like those crane's cards, btw.  And yet still think they're kind of affected.  I don't run in a crowd where calling cards are the norm, y'know?

Good idea.  Mailing address?

zardoz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »
I got a few cards from current students at ASW events so that I could contact them with further questions.  These seem to include the law school logo, student name, J.D. Candidate and graduation year, email, phone, and the address of the law school.

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 11:00:04 PM »
I vote in the affirmative (for business cards that is).