me333

• View Profile
-
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
-

rebelfan286

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spouse Moving for You to go to Law School?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
Same boat.  She is a buyer, and her career prospects are definitely a big factor in deciding where we go.  To be more whimsical would be nice, but practicality and being broke weigh more, unfortunately.

DCLabor25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »
Same boat here.  My spouse has a promising interview, so I am hoping that works out.  It makes you realize again though just how much they love you when they are willing to do this!

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »
my wife is moving with us, but she's not getting a job. she's taking care of the kiddie.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:40:33 PM »
Spouse (and kids) will be coming with me (I put off apps until '09 so we could live in Europe for a year so spouse could be closer to his home office) but he'll remote wherever we are, so it's not an issue.  Quality of life is probably a biggie for both of us, so that'll be more of a consideration than job market.  After four years of vagabonding, it'll be strange to be in one place for three years.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »
My spouse and some of my kids (probably 3 of 5) are moving to come with me. We'll be leaving Nebraska and heading to Berkeley. Big changes, obviously. The increased opportunity in the bay area for my dh to find a job is one of the reasons I decided on Boalt over UVA (though until I fax my scholarship acceptance paper on Tuesday, I'm still a free agent). My dh is excited and happy about the move. He was getting restless here.

Calypso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 08:18:55 PM »
My fiance was up for moving wherever I decided to go, but it would have meant leaving the job and area he really likes.  So, I decided to turn down the higher ranked school and accept a full scholarship in his area instead.

It's where we ultimately want to live anyway and I feel more comfortable about my debt situation because 1) tuition for me is paid for and 2) he can keep his job to cover our living expenses.  Low tier two, but zero debt.  We'll see if that sounds as fabulous 3 years from now.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
My husband liked the excuse to look for a different job.  He's pretty happy with his new one, too. 

We moved back to the area where we both grew up, and we are very happy here.  I didn't look anywhere that I didn't think he'd want to go when I was originally applying.  He applied for jobs in three cities when I was looking -- and interviewed in all three of them.  He even turned down a completely awesome, career-making job when I got dinged from the nearby school.  Dude's a trooper.

I don't know that I ever properly thanked him for all of that.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »
"Holding you back" can be code for "I am not ready for commitment," yes?  It wasn't such a bad excuse for me back in the day.  I'm glad now that I didn't move away from a good job in my twenties for one particular fella, for example.  It stung quite a bit at the time, though.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »
I'll dedub this eventually . . . [ETA to dedub as well.  ;)]

Disc, my ex, your avatar, did that to me when we were both going off to grad school.  Didn't even want to try and see if we could do it long distance.  It so worked out in the end, as my spouse is an infinitely better match for me.  You seem like very quality material - I suspect you won't have a problem replacing his unappreciative tush with someone better more willing to commit, even if it takes some time.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.