Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stuck on Conditional Reasoning...  (Read 1709 times)

BABALITY!

• View Profile
Re: Stuck on Conditional Reasoning...
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
Vague laws set vague limits on people’s freedom, which makes it impossible for them to know for certain whether their actions are legal. Thus, under vague laws people cannot feel secure.

Stretch your conclusion beyond your premise.

Premise:     VLaw  -> VLim  -> ~KLegal
Conclusion:  VLaw ----------------------> ~FS
Assumption:                    ~KLegal -> ~FS
Contrapositive:                     FS -> KLegal
(Answer choice A)

^^^This seems to be correct.

Here's a list you should memorize to help you identify the components of conditional reasoning...

To introduce a sufficient condition:
If
When
Whenever
Every
All
Any
People who
In order to

To introduce a necessary condition:
Then
Only
Only if
Must
Required
Unless
Except
Until
Without

masterthegame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
I hear ya on this section. I just started the Testmaster class and my brain is about to explode from these sections.  ??? Mistaken Reversals, Mistaken Negation, I feel like giving my instructor a Mistaken Slap to the Face. ;D Too bad he's a nice guy and I'm just angry at myself for not "gettin it" like the other dorks in class. I'm just envious of their fast processors.

The problem, my amigo is that both of our Medulla oblongatas are the 3.0 version.  :'( Slow brain-o processor syndorme. Whether we didn't read enough books growing up, didn't take enough logic and philosophy classes, who knows.  That means we have to work extra harder than Earl Cat and other regulars here who have the 5.0 Medulla oblongatas.

Listen to the advice of my big headed math teacher in High School, Mr. Melosh. "If you don't get it, just take it in a room, stare at it for 3 hours then you will get it."

I guess better said is that it simply means more practice and repition. "IF you have a 3.0 version Medulla THEN you have to study twice as hard."

So practice, practice, practice away. It will reach that thick skull of yours as its slowly creeping into mines.

ssilver0210

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Silverman Bar Preparation
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »
Right. Way over-thought that one.  Who hasn't made a mistake.  :-\

A simpler explanation:

Vague limits on people's freedoms make it impossible for them to know whether their actions are legal. Vague laws cause vague limits on people's freedoms. Therefore, vague laws make it impossible for people to know whether their actions are legal.

We're further that that based on the above statements, we can draw the conclusion that vague laws cause people to not feel secure.

So we know only one thing about vague laws: They make it impossible for people to know whether their actions are legal. 

To conclude from that one fact that vague laws cause people to not feel secure, it must also be true that people can feel secure only if they know whether their actions are legal.

Why?  Because if people could feel secure for any reason other than knowing whether their actions are legal, then the fact that there are vague laws causing them to not know whether their actions are legal would not lead to the conclusion that they feel insecure.  They might still feel secure even though there are vague laws causing them to not know whether their actions are legal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To my critic:

As for STFU. I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. I have been able to help quite a few people through my explanations on various questions.  I tend to be able to break down the logic in a way that makes it understandable for those who are having difficulty breaking it down on their own. I've been complimented by a few prominent posters on the board, and helped many others who have messaged me in private.

So I'll keep on keepin on.

I provide tutoring both for the LSAT and the MBE at very reasonable rates.  I provide a free hour to all students to try out the tutoring.  Feel free to contact me at silvermanbarprep@gmail.com for tutoring inquires or to set up a free lesson. Visit my blog @ http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
//Who is this misguided clown and why is he continually posting crap like this?//

Sean, since it is clear that you don't understand basic formal logic, do everyone a favor and STFU. Thanks buddy.

To everyone else, read what EarlCat wrote and ignore Sean's posts because he hasn't got a clue.

Yours truly,

F_U

Wow, dude.  Lay off the 'roids.  I mean, yeah, he over-thought that one, but srsly, that's a lot of rage from someone who has contributed all of one post.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
masterthegame, 

Great freakin' post!  Hahahaha!  I feel like my Medulla oblongata is a 1.0 version like an old Commodore 64.  Your post totally brightened my day!