Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: full ride to stetson v. half tuition to FSU  (Read 1196 times)

youngsal

• View Profile
    • Email
full ride to stetson v. half tuition to FSU
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:17:16 AM »
Which one do you guys think is the better option. I want to stay in Florida (South Florida, or tampa bay area)

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: full ride to stetson v. half tuition to FSU
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 12:26:25 AM »
FSU would get my vote.

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »
Stetson will set you up nicely for Central Florida.....not so much for South Florida. FSU will give you more mobility within the state. Also, if you're interested in government work, FSU has a clear advantage. And if you ever desired to leave the state, at least the Florida State name is recognizable to outsiders.

Bottom line: If you are set on Central Florida, Stetson would be a fine choice. If you are unsure or want to do government work, Florida State would be the better choice. Plus, tuition at FSU is cheap so it wouldn't be THAT much debt.
UVA Law Class of 2011

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 08:54:22 AM »
Stetson will set you up nicely for Central Florida.....not so much for South Florida. FSU will give you more mobility within the state. Also, if you're interested in government work, FSU has a clear advantage. And if you ever desired to leave the state, at least the Florida State name is recognizable to outsiders.

Bottom line: If you are set on Central Florida, Stetson would be a fine choice. If you are unsure or want to do government work, Florida State would be the better choice. Plus, tuition at FSU is cheap so it wouldn't be THAT much debt.

titcr

Both options are great, however I'd go with FSU. A bit more mobility, and the cost difference is pretty negligible. Also, I think Tampa is a painfully boring city, personally. At Tallahassee is a little more fun (as much as that pains me to say). 
Tulane c/o 2011

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:21:11 AM »

I concur. 

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:39:53 PM »
Stetson's reputation far surpasses its ranking in central Florida but the mobility is not there.  The Tampa area is much different than south Florida, especially Miami.  You should have a clear preference out of the two.

yoyodawg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 10:45:17 PM »
What are the requirements for both scholarships? (what do you have to do to keep the scholarship?)This may have some bearing on the right answer.

If they are about the same, I'd say go to FSU simply because it will give you a greater flexibility in the job market. You can go where you want in Florida. Also, in-state tution is only about 10 grand a year at FSU anyway, so 5 grand a year for lawschool isn't anything to sneeze at.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:20:22 AM »
Agree with what has been said above, except Tampa >>>> Tally.  The TB area is a wonderful place to live.

Emory '09

LSN