-
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »
--

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Schools?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:13:04 AM »
I'm not really sure how anyone could judge this.  After all, people only attend one law school and so there's no one who could make a meaningful comparison.  Even transfer students wouldn't be a good source of information since they could only compare year 1 at school 1 to years 2 & 3 at school 2.

But I'm curious as to how people will respond.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 01:22:17 AM »
Yeah, I think the question is silly. I love whenever I have spoken with people at law schools, they ALWAYS say that their school is not competitive. According to what I have heard from every single person about law school, there isn't a competitive school.

I think the answer is pretty much this, the most competitive schools are the ones that rank their students, I think it is that simple.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:25:18 AM »
I hear GW is the most, followed by BC and BU. ;)
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

yesTHEEMORY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
I hear GW is the most, followed by BC and BU. ;)

Joke or not.  GW and BU have competitive reputations.

Emory is more competitive than I expected.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 10:37:04 PM »
the lower ones class rank, the more competitive they perceive the school to be.

Yes.  And all schools rank, even if only for graduation honors.  If people don't see cum laude on your resume, they know you didn't make top third, and that's all they need or want to know.

Northeastern doesn't :P

"students may receive Honors or High Honors for strong academic performance in upper-level courses"

http://www.slaw.neu.edu/affairs/requiredeg.html

How is that not ranking?

No you're right, I didn't know that.  Interesting that they have that with their no grading policy.

Cosmo, you are one of the nicest posters on this board... but you just got PWNED   :D

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
I hear UF is insanely competitive

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
Do tell. Not what I expected to hear.

tashakies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »
Friends of mine at Minnesota and Emory have told me that their schools were surprisingly competitive. The way they both explained it to me was that the top of the class had some pretty amazing opportunities job-wise (private and public), while the bottom half seemed to be miles away as far as the doors open to them. A sort of "feast or famine" kind of thing (the words of the UMN grad, who was on law review there), if I understood correctly. I also imagine that schools that routinely transfer a large number, relatively speaking, of students from the top of their class to T14s have a slightly more competitive edge. E.g. Case Western, American, etc.

Anyone know about this for BC?? It has a reputation for being the Disneyland of law schools and I know fantastic doors are open for the top of the class. What about for those in the bottom half? Someone told me you are 'basically screwed' if you are in the bottom half.  :(

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
Friends of mine at Minnesota and Emory have told me that their schools were surprisingly competitive. The way they both explained it to me was that the top of the class had some pretty amazing opportunities job-wise (private and public), while the bottom half seemed to be miles away as far as the doors open to them. A sort of "feast or famine" kind of thing (the words of the UMN grad, who was on law review there), if I understood correctly. I also imagine that schools that routinely transfer a large number, relatively speaking, of students from the top of their class to T14s have a slightly more competitive edge. E.g. Case Western, American, etc.

Anyone know about this for BC?? It has a reputation for being the Disneyland of law schools and I know fantastic doors are open for the top of the class. What about for those in the bottom half? Someone told me you are 'basically screwed' if you are in the bottom half.  :(

What's your definition of screwed?  You may be out of biglaw but BC has a fantastic reputation in Boston - you will be employable.

My thoughts exactly. Same for Emory and Minn, for that matter. Biglaw isn't the end all be all of the world anyway.