Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T2 Question  (Read 650 times)

skinsfan123

• View Profile
T2 Question
« on: April 11, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »
I know the rule about T2 and how finishing higher in your class opens more doors, so there is no need to repeat that to me. With that being said, what areas of law are most closed off to students graduating from T2 schools? What fields would it be the hardest to get ahead in? What areas of practice are generally the most friendly to us T2-ers?

I want to focus on International Law, but realizing that I will be attending a T2 school, I shudder to think that my only reasonable opportunities for success will be in fields such as Wills, Trusts, Estates and Probate...

ChiJD

• View Profile
Re: T2 Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
Outside of T14, (and even within T14), opportunities to practice "international law" are very limited. This is due to the fact that A) There really isn't such a thing as "international law", and B) Any legal job that has some aspect of internationalism to it, it going to be highly, highly coveted, and thus, highly competitive. Sure, anything is possible with a ton of work and dedication, but noone is coming out of Tier 2's and getting jobs with the U.N. or ICC or IMF or whoever else does "international law" work. That's just the reality of the legal market.

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 05:03:53 PM »
International business law isn't as hard to break into from Tier 2, mostly because all business is becoming increasingly 'global.' If you really wanted to be involved in international law for the international aspect of it, study business law and try to get into an international finance & trade certificate. Study abroad.

There are ways you can do it.

Unless of course you're talking about international human rights law, in which case I just wasted 30 seconds.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

OL who talks out of Ass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 06:00:45 PM »
Outside of T14, (and even within T14), opportunities to practice "international law" are very limited. This is due to the fact that A) There really isn't such a thing as "international law", and B) Any legal job that has some aspect of internationalism to it, it going to be highly, highly coveted, and thus, highly competitive. Sure, anything is possible with a ton of work and dedication, but noone is coming out of Tier 2's and getting jobs with the U.N. or ICC or IMF or whoever else does "international law" work. That's just the reality of the legal market.

I could not have come up with a broader overgeneralization based on pure speculation even if I decided not to research the subject myself. Bravo!
Iíve become an expert on law schools and the legal profession by trolling all the relevant message boards. All of my advice is gleamed from anonymous message board posters like you, only I parrot it back with more authority. I have never spoken to an actual lawyer, law student, or judge.

skinsfan123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »
I should have clarified that I am interested in corporate law, not development/human rights work. I wouldn't mind working for the government either. That brings up another question: I hear DoJ is very hard to break into from a T2, but what about FBI? Do they really only target T14 too?

John Blackthorne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
I should have clarified that I am interested in corporate law, not development/human rights work. I wouldn't mind working for the government either. That brings up another question: I hear DoJ is very hard to break into from a T2, but what about FBI? Do they really only target T14 too?

You might be able to break into the DoJ if you go to Regent and you are a conservative republican and a republican wins the next presidential election.
"I only eat inorganic foods. If it doesn't contain molybdenum or something from the noble gases, I'm just not interested"-- Lyle McDonald