Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which of the following is the most accurate

We should leave the Constitution and Bill of Rights exactly as they are.
 9 (34.6%)
The Constitution and Bill of Rights should be interpreted based on the needs of current society rather than the needs of the founders' society.
 10 (38.5%)
The Constitution should be rewritten.
 1 (3.8%)
The Constitution is great, but it's time for a few new ammendments in the bill of rights.
 4 (15.4%)
Who cares? I want a burrito.
 2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: U.S. Constitution  (Read 2055 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
U.S. Constitution
« on: April 11, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
Discuss.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U.S. Constitution
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »
With the exceptions of term limits for senators and us reps ( i think 8 years is enough for any man, and removes too-comfortable incumbents), raising the presidency to one term, 6 years, and perhaps a bill of rights amendment touching upon intellectual property and some notes on torture, touching the constitution is fundamentally bad, in particular REMOVING anything from it. 

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »
Scrap it and modernize it. Insert a clause that this is to be repeated every 30 years.

What sections/ammendments would you get rid of?
Anything in particular you'd want to add?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »
Scrap it and modernize it. Insert a clause that this is to be repeated every 30 years.

What if this happens in a time of racial tension, or a coup, and they rewrite the 30 year clause out of it?

Fangoria

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »
And who would be in charge of rewriting it? In the super-politicized climate of today, I can't foresee any person or group who could agree on how to change it the way the forefathers seemingly came together to create it... Also, a note about the poll, I think the constitution should be INTERPRETED to suit modern needs, but not CHANGED, those seem to be two very different options to include in one voting button
Done and Done, I think

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:58:57 PM »
And who would be in charge of rewriting it? In the super-politicized climate of today, I can't foresee any person or group who could agree on how to change it the way the forefathers seemingly came together to create it... Also, a note about the poll, I think the constitution should be INTERPRETED to suit modern needs, but not CHANGED, those seem to be two very different options to include in one voting button

I changed it.  Hopefully that will work for you.

TRad

• Hope springs eternal
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »
We need an amendment explicitly guaranteeing a right to privacy -- sexual, intellectual, marital, medical.

Perhaps 40 years of precedent recognizing the right will be enough to protect it, but then Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) was overturned by Brown v. Board (1954).  And rightly so, of course.  Point being that 58 years of precedent was undone by one case.....

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
We need an amendment explicitly guaranteeing a right to privacy -- sexual, intellectual, marital, medical.

Perhaps 40 years of precedent recognizing the right will be enough to protect it, but then Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) was overturned by Brown v. Board (1954).  And rightly so, of course.  Point being that 58 years of precedent was undone by one case.....

So would you legalize drug use and prostitution? 

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »

why would we want to do this when it will limit the ability of the state to regulate people's lives?

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what you actually do believe in.  Ever consider running for office?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »
Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what you actually do believe in.  Ever consider running for office?

i never talk about what i actually believe.  i just try to get people to question their own assumptions.

So you're like the ultimate advocate.  You can just keep your beliefs to yourself and do what is best for your clients.  That will serve you pretty well as a lawyer.
I just feel like sometimes it's good for people to stand up for something.
Maybe just give us a sneak peek once in a while.