Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is INTERESTING if you're looking at Texas Schools (other than UT)  (Read 6015 times)

mm1405

• View Profile
Re: This is INTERESTING if you're looking at Texas Schools (other than UT)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
Thats why I posted the emails, because I was suprised by what he said also.  That being said, without giving away his information, he is an attorney involved in the hiring process at a law firm in Texas that has over 700 attorneys.  Thats stats are straight from the firm...
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
Thats why I posted the emails, because I was suprised by what he said also.  That being said, without giving away his information, he is an attorney involved in the hiring process at a law firm in Texas that has over 700 attorneys.  Thats stats are straight from the firm...

I just want to point out that no firm I have spoken with that recruits only top 20% at UT comes anywhere close to recruiting to 15% at Baylor.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »
Numbers-wise, though, it might make sense. UT has 400-ish per class, whereas Baylor has 160 (that's all starting semesters. Summer and Spring starters might not even be considered for summer clerkships). So you're looking at 80 students from UT v. 24 from Baylor.
Hmm. Nope, that still sounds wrong.

But if you just count Baylor's Fall class, 9. That sounds more likely.

Yeah, but you could just open your UT numbers up some and hire more UT students - who are a much easier sell to the clients.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 10:17:20 PM »

Why is Texas Tech and not UT, UH, or SMU the one with the lowest unemployment and lowest unknown rate?   

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »

Why is Texas Tech and not UT, UH, or SMU the one with the lowest unemployment and lowest unknown rate?   

I would guess that it's because they are the only law school located in the entire western half of Texas.  A graduate of TTU would be more likely to take an offer throughout west Texas than would a graduate of SMU, Baylor, or UH (likely more focused on positions in Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc..)
The average first year income of a TTU graduate is, however, lower than these other schools which could be explained by them taking lower paying positions throughout the area (which would likely include El Paso, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Amarillo, Abilene)

This is all just a wild guess, btw.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »
Nope, they just lied on their employment report.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
Thanks! I sent a mass email to my attorney contacts asking Baylor vs. Tulane. The response was overwhelmingly Pro-Baylor (19 to 3).

Attorneys that do what and where?

Litigate in Waco

Um, no. Houston/Beaumont and Dallas.

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »
Thanks! I sent a mass email to my attorney contacts asking Baylor vs. Tulane. The response was overwhelmingly Pro-Baylor (19 to 3).

Attorneys that do what and where?

Litigate in Waco

Um, no. Houston/Beaumont and Dallas.

Everybody, in law firms I talked to said the same thing.  Not really about Baylor as they didn't think that was that great of a school either but they didn't have to much positive to say about Tulane and though I could find a much better school than that.  I found this kind of funny to because I want to do maritime work.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 01:55:41 PM »
I just want to mention that I'm not trolling for Baylor by any means (I'm actually considering sitting out a cycle and retaking/reapplying next year to have better options-- unless SMU or Houston come through for me).

If you want to work in Texas: UT, SMU, Houston are the best options. I'd imagine that the 'Baylor vs. Tulane' struggle depends largely on who you ask (I only asked litigators in Texas because that's what I want to do/where I want to practice).

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
I just want to mention that I'm not trolling for Baylor by any means (I'm actually considering sitting out a cycle and retaking/reapplying next year to have better options-- unless SMU or Houston come through for me).

If you want to work in Texas: UT, SMU, Houston are the best options. I'd imagine that the 'Baylor vs. Tulane' struggle depends largely on who you ask (I only asked litigators in Texas because that's what I want to do/where I want to practice).

Explain Tulane's Texas placement vs SMU/Houston.