Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seat Deposit affect aid decision  (Read 583 times)

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Seat Deposit affect aid decision
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
I am wondering if sending in a seat deposit would have any affect on receiving need based aid?

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seat Deposit affect aid decision
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »
bump

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »
I am wondering if sending in a seat deposit would have any affect on receiving need based aid?

Theoretically not, since need based aid is supposed to be determined by more of a formula.  It would probably impact merit aid.

TNGA60

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »

Theoretically not, since need based aid is supposed to be determined by more of a formula.  It would probably impact merit aid.

negatively I assume?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
Eek, this is why there needs to be some kind of regulation by LSAC or whoever else does oversight.

This would worry me. Maybe (this is just a maybe and I'm just throwing it out there) you should put another deposit down elsewhere that gave you good aid. Then you can let the school you're worried about know that you've deposited at both places, but would prefer them-- that it just depends on getting good aid. Worst case, you lose $200. Best case, the school you deposit at lets you get a refund.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
Some schools are more likely to increase you scholarship award after sending in a seat deposit.

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
Some schools are more likely to increase you scholarship award after sending in a seat deposit.

I'm sure it varies, but I also would imagine that in some cases it gives the school less incentive to offer money if they feel they don't have to convince you to come.