• View Profile
IOWA
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:38:05 AM »
160 / 3.01
Edit: Some more info-
Chinese
Applied when I was 20 (now 21)
Non-resident
Decent Soft-Factors (habitat for humanity, support group facilitator, etc)
Little Work Experience

YES OR NO?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: IOWA
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »
unless in state, unlikely

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »
You posted a similar thread here or on TLS recently, right?

No offense, but your soft factors mentioned are not going to standout.  If you want to get into a top 30 school with a 3.01 GPA, you will probably want to retake the LSAT. 

Being Chinese is probably your greatest asset and if they decide to give you some URM treatment that will help.  If you speak Chinese that is even better.  If you focus on things about you that unique and why you want to attend Iowa, specifically, in your personal statement you have a greater chance of acceptance there.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
Based on what I know about what's going on with Iowa's admissions right now the answer is probably no.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:42:07 PM »
What exectly do you know?

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
What exectly do you know?

Basically that the class is filled.

familyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
Lesbian, bi-sexual or transgendered? Decide to be right now and it might help you, and you might consider coming up with a hardship story for your essays as schools seem to love these. Perhaps your grades are lower due to a death in the family, or the fact that you graduated by age 20 - a feat most of us could never pull off. Admissions offices welcome sob stories - as if they have anything to do with your ability to do well at their school. Nonetheless, I suggest you find a way to show them that you are as different from the standard straight, white American as possible, and make them feel as sorry as possible for your life experiences you have overcome. Otherwise, retake the LSAT and get a 162+ and I bet Iowa will let you in. I know, if you are Han Chinese, take a stand against China's violence in Tibet and let that be known in your essay. Seriously. Chinese applicant taking stand against China and pro Tibet = giddy law school deans who likely love Tibet and all that it represents = admitted for being unique applicant.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
Lesbian, bi-sexual or transgendered? Decide to be right now and it might help you, and you might consider coming up with a hardship story for your essays as schools seem to love these. Perhaps your grades are lower due to a death in the family, or the fact that you graduated by age 20 - a feat most of us could never pull off. Admissions offices welcome sob stories - as if they have anything to do with your ability to do well at their school. Nonetheless, I suggest you find a way to show them that you are as different from the standard straight, white American as possible, and make them feel as sorry as possible for your life experiences you have overcome. Otherwise, retake the LSAT and get a 162+ and I bet Iowa will let you in. I know, if you are Han Chinese, take a stand against China's violence in Tibet and let that be known in your essay. Seriously. Chinese applicant taking stand against China and pro Tibet = giddy law school deans who likely love Tibet and all that it represents = admitted for being unique applicant.

LOL at bi-disenfranchised-dissident international applicant.  Write a 250 worder about "Murderking" and how McDonalds engenders the genocidal tendencies of 20th century fascist regimes, and your at the 75%