Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine ($$) vs Chapman ($$$$)  (Read 1085 times)

tfrunnerxc

• View Profile
Pepperdine ($$) vs Chapman ($$$$)
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:22:29 PM »
23,000 at Pepperdine vs. Full tuition at Chapman?

I visited both places last weekend... I was very surprised by Chapman.  Sweet campus, really nice law building, and they totally went all out for the scholars with some pretty tight events.  I really liked the vibes I got there.  It'd be nice to graduate with no debt..  Need 3.0 to keep scholarship.

OR

Pepperdine has an amazing campus, but the law building kinda sucks.  Need to be in top third of the class to keep scholarship.  Does anyone know if your scholarship can be increased if you are in the top xx% after the first year?

chunkylover53

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pepperdine ($$) vs Chapman ($$$$)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »
Go to Pepperdine. UC-Irvine is supposed to be rolling out with a law school I believe in 2009. In a few years, thats going to replace Chapman as the law school to go to in OC. That is the only thing Chapman has going for itself. Pepperdine has better recognition in the LA area as well is in OC (esp with UCI coming up).

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »
Pepperdine will increase your scholarship if you do well in the first year.  I would say go to Pepperdine.  I may be a little bias, but I personally love it at Pepperdine.  Also frankly I just don't think you will have the same opportunities at Chapman that you will have at Pepperdine.  If you have any more questions about Pepperdine I would be more than willing to answer them, but I definitely think you should choose Pepperdine.  I don't know where you are planning to practice, but Pepperdine does have a better reputation in Southern California, and if you want to practice out of California you would be much better off going to Pepperdine because most people from out of state have not even heard of Chapman.

Also you may want to check with your Chapman scholarship what the class rank is for having a 3.0 because just because a 3.0 sounds like an easy GPA to get in undergrad, does not mean that that GPA would be as easy to get in law school and it may work out that getting a 3.0 is the same as being in the top third at Chapman.

newkirk101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 02:19:13 AM »
I go to Chapman and must say the school is amazing.  I love it here.  UC Irvine is far behind Chapman and will take awhile to get running.  Chapman has a strong reputation in OC and gets stronger as the years go by.  Chapman just jumped tiers a month ago and will hopefully do so in a couple years again.  Really, I think Chapman is a smart investment. Go to Loyola over Pepperdine.  Also, Chapman is strong contrary to what the naysayers say.  LA is the old money and the OC is the new money.  Chapman sends grads to big firms every year 160k, so honeslty unless you are going to UCLA or USC, your job prospects are going to be relatively the same, that is unless you go to Western State or Whittier!