Where should I go next fall?

Fordham
 10 (58.8%)
Cardozo
 4 (23.5%)
Brooklyn
 3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Fordham v. Cardozo ($$$) v. Brooklyn ($$$)  (Read 3240 times)

boxers0208

• View Profile
Fordham v. Cardozo ($$$) v. Brooklyn ($$$)
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:04:59 PM »

Cardozo (33k/year)
Brooklyn (36k/year)
Fordham (none)

I am not sure what type of law I want to go into yet... Just pretend it was you in my shoes!
Thanks for all your help  :)

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fordham v. Cardozo ($$$) v. Brooklyn ($$$)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »

Cardozo (33k/year)
Brooklyn (36k/year)
Fordham (none)

I am not sure what type of law I want to go into yet... Just pretend it was you in my shoes!

Are there any conditions regarding the scholarship money?

boxers0208

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Hofstra. - top 40 percent
St. John's - top 50 percent
Brooklyn - top 40 percent - can keep some of it if fall below depending on percentile
Cardozo - top 40 percent - can keep some of it if fall below depending on percentile

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »
Hofstra. - top 40 percent
St. John's - top 50 percent
Brooklyn - top 40 percent - can keep some of it if fall below depending on percentile
Cardozo - top 40 percent - can keep some of it if fall below depending on percentile

Well, I can only tell you what I would do... in those circumstances I would go to Brooklyn.  I would be nervous about taking out full COA for Fordham.  At least with Cardozo and BLS you can keep some of it.  And realistically, you want to be in the top 40% anyway for job prospects at either school (including Fordham.)

And I just happen to like Brooklyn better than Cardozo, but that's personal taste.  Try to visit both. :)

Good luck!  You have some great options!

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:48:36 PM »
i goto bls, but study at cardozo every now and then..

facilities of the two - toss up, both offer ups and downs.. i like bls's library better though.. 

in terms of job placement, i actually transferred to bls this year as a 2l, so was kinda too late for oci stuff... however, i got my act together early spring and am very happy with the amount of interviews i got (about 15 ..) and landed a summer associate position i am verrry happy w/..

can't go wrong w/ either..

cost of living - advantage of bls

qualify of school's location in terms of nightlife - cardozo

proximity to legal opp's: bls hands down (middle of us attorney / da / courtland).. also, the wall st firms are a stop away..

alumni network - bls handsdown .. cardozo's first class is not that old (had an internship last semester w/ one of em) - kinda hard to compete cuz of that

either way - great schools (i am biased cuz i goto bls, but chose it over cardozo as a transfer in a heartbeat)

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »

Cardozo (33k/year)
Brooklyn (36k/year)
Fordham (none)

Keeping the $$$ issue out of the picture, I think it's a choice between Cardozo & Fordham, with an edge to the latter.  Do you mind posting your numbers?  I, realistically, expect to face the same dilemma a year from now.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »
eh, i dont think cardozo will offer nearly the amount of job opp's as bls..   i'd put cardozo behind st johns as well in that category.. 

GodspeedMUFC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »
I am currently analyzing data of placement at top 80 NYC firms for graduates of Cardozo, Brooklyn, St. John's (and Seton Hall). I can tell you that so far (I am at about 30/80) these are the trends.

Cardozo- Very few partners comparatively. This is likely due to the fact that Cardozo only graduated its first class in 1979. The trends for associates are a little strange so far (this may be a reflection of the fact that the data sets are not complete) they have high (comparative) placement at firms that would be considered top tier of BigLaw, however overall associate placement lags significantly behind Brooklyn and is much more comparative to St. John's (so far).

Brooklyn- Dominant in comparison so far in terms of associates and nominally in the lead over St. John's in terms of partners.

St. John's- Very large community of partners (remember though this may be indicative of past job prospects as much as future prospects for advancement). Associate placement is stronger then I would have imagined although interesting trend of placement of large amount of associates at particular firm s (Simpson is the obvious one here, though there are others).

I will post results when they are finished.

From anecdotal sources I have heard that Cardozo is a really nice place to study law for whatever that is worth. (not much) 
In- St. John's ($$$), Seton Hall ($$$$), Temple, Northeastern , Suffolk ($$) and American. Brooklyn

Out- Boston College, Fordham and George Washington.

Still waiting- BU.

LSAT 163 UGPA 3.3 Masters degrees with 3.95 GPA.