Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Willamette Graduate Student Housing  (Read 1583 times)

AmyJ141414

• View Profile
    • Email
Willamette Graduate Student Housing
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
So I am pretty set on going to Willamette...Ive been doing some research online and see that they have graduate student housing available in some of their on-campus apartments. I hear that Salem has some sketchy areas....is anyone out there familiar with the area and best housing options? Any Willamette students suggest on or off campus housing?

Thanks!  :)

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Willamette Graduate Student Housing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:25:12 AM »
If I go to Willamette, I'm probably going to rent a house.

carlylerun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »
I'm familiar with Willamette, and would rent the apartment. The University Apartments are far nicer than Haseldorf. Much of the housing surrounding Willamette made me feel uneasy, and I would say sketchy is an understatement.

The campus itself is very pretty, friendly and kept up. Downtown is ok, and not any more sketchy than you would find in dozens of cities across the US. Housing however is. If you did rent a house, I'd rent in the area by Bush Park, and NOT right across from the school (i.e. near the Kaneko dorm.) The area is know as the flats from what I recall (by the railroad) due to the small population of transients. Hope this helps.

colleenwallaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
I just moved to Salem, and will be attending the law school at Willamette in the fall. There are sketchy parts of town, but there are definitely decent areas (rule of thumb stay south and west) which are much more reasonably priced than the on-campus housing (the office estimated around $900.00 a month). Even the Housing Office at Willamette suggested  renting off campus to help save a bit of money. The office does provide a list of apartments on their website http://willamette.edu/dept/resservices/information/offcampus/ . The link at the bottom of this page under "Selected Salem Area Apartments" was a major help to me and my fiance when we were looking for a new place to stay.

S2X

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »
So I am pretty set on going to Willamette...Ive been doing some research online and see that they have graduate student housing available in some of their on-campus apartments. I hear that Salem has some sketchy areas....is anyone out there familiar with the area and best housing options? Any Willamette students suggest on or off campus housing?

Thanks!  :)

I agree with the previous posters.  If you really like to stay close to campus for whatever reason, University Apartments might be for you.  Like carlylerun said, it is much nicer than Haseldorf (I have friends living in both places).  However, there is usually a long waiting list for these apartments because the university only sets aside a set number of apartments for the law/grad students.  If you didn't put your name on the list early for one of the apartments, I'd start searching elsewhere.

Otherwise, I'd get a place in West Salem or south Salem.  One of my friends rents a house with several others and likes it, so that is definitely a nice option as well.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:32:39 AM »
I will be renting a house in Salem.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »
S2X - What do you know about Spring Mountain Apartments? Are they good?

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a place that will take my large dog. Spring Mountain will take him, but only after a $750 pet fee...

S2X

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »
S2X - What do you know about Spring Mountain Apartments? Are they good?

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a place that will take my large dog. Spring Mountain will take him, but only after a $750 pet fee...

Sorry, I really don't know anything about Spring Mountain Apartments.  Just based on what I saw from searching online, it looks pretty good.  Price isn't too bad either.  Good luck on your apartment search!

AmyJ141414

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »
SO I went down to salem a few weekends ago to check things out. It looks like its best to steer clear of the north and east areas-- whereas the south and west areas are really nice, espessially this one complex called the Eola Apartments in West Salem. If anyone is looking for a roomate let me know!

mentalpatient

• Sr. Citizen
  • WUCL 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:49:23 PM »
Ok, I guess I'm probably late with my reply about student housing at Willamette but if you still consider obtaining a student housing, although it may be too late, my answer will help you.  During the first semester at WUCL, I lived in Haseldorf.  The place was absolutely crappy and sometimes the hallway smelled like piss.  Ok, I didn't mind that too much honestly but two other things really bothered me.  First, the residents (some crazyass undergrad mofos) who lived right above me were always throwing parties, yelling, and ashing their pipes by the window.  The problem was that wall and ceiling were too thin and my complaints did not really help.  The wall is too thin that I can hear the guy above me talking on the cellphone, walking around, taking a piss, and sighing about his sorryass midterm grades.  Also, when the weather was warm, I had problems with flies coming into my apartment.  The place doesn't have a screen window so I went to Home Depot and installed screens myself later to find out the flies were coming in from a crack hole on the wall.  This place really drove me insane.  Unable to deal with anymore drama with the apartment, I moved to UAP before the second semester although there was about $250 to $300 difference in the monthly rent.  It was the best decision I've ever made in my law school career so far.  My grades improved and my mental health is recovered.  In conclusion, my advice to you is to find a decent place whether it's on campus or off campus where it's quite and good enough for you to enjoy yourself while dealing with the stress from law school.