Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU Class of 2011 (& Facebook Grp)  (Read 8930 times)

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
Re: SMU Class of 2011 (& Facebook Grp)
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:03 PM »
West End as in... West End? No.

Uptown, West VILLAGE, Oaklawn (historically but not exclusively gay),  the Knox side of Knox-Henderson, The Village apartments (http://www.thevillageapts.com/index_flash.shtml), and Lower Greenville, (very nightspotty but watch your person)... those are where most of your classmates are likely to live.

Craigslist is great for condos and duplexes that aren't your cookie-cutter homes.

You're right. My bad. I got my wests mixed up. You'd think after a few years of being here I would get that down.  :)

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 01:59:16 AM »
So I'm starting to look at places to live in Dallas.  I want to be close to campus, and I'd like to live some place that's kinda nice.  I'd also like to be near night life and the bar scene, if possible, for convenience, etc...

Anyways, the Post apartments down in Uptown seem pretty nice.  I've been to Dallas on more than one occasion, and that area is pretty awesome.  If anyone has any knowledge about these complexes, or anything around SMU that would fit said descriptions, I would love the input.

I don't know your price range, but a couple of law students live at these apartments in Uptown:

Villa Rosa
http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/community.aspx?Region=33&CommunityId=53

Mondrian
http://zomrent.com/themondrianatcityplace/main-page.asp

Rienzi at Turtle Creek
http://www.rienziturtlecreek.com/

The Ashton
http://www.theashton.com/homes.asp

Gables West Village
http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/community.aspx?Region=33&CommunityId=63

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 02:07:00 AM »
I'm visiting SMU on Thursday, the 24th.  Anything in particular I should tour/visit while there?  Admissions office apparently isnt doing tours until after April 30so when they have decisions out. Thanks.

Are you asking about SMU or Dallas in general?

The reason why there are no tours is that finals start on April 28th and end on May 9th and then graduation is May 17th. There are no students to conduct tours and they don't want to interrupt studying/exam taking.

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
SMU, where ARE you? My rent is going to the month-to-month rate of $950 starting May 1st!!! If I'm going to be staying in Dallas I'd REALLY like to know so I can re-sign my lease at a much cheaper rate or get the heck outta there...

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 11:39:51 AM »
I'm visiting SMU on Thursday, the 24th.  Anything in particular I should tour/visit while there?  Admissions office apparently isnt doing tours until after April 30so when they have decisions out. Thanks.

The reason why there are no tours is that finals start on April 28th and end on May 9th and then graduation is May 17th. There are no students to conduct tours and they don't want to interrupt studying/exam taking.

I'm touring the SMU campus "self guided".  Thats why I was wondering if there is anything I should make sure to see while there.  I am from a town about 30 minutes from dallas, so I'm semi-familiar with the area, just not the law school. Just wondering if there was anything unique about SMU I should be sure to see while visiting, since I wont be with an admissions guide to ask...
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »
i'm finishing my 1L yr at SMU and i have a 2-bedroom condo a mile from the law school parking garage. it's nice to have a stress-free commute and not have to deal with dallas traffic.
lots of places to live, and tons of bars, just depends on what you are looking for.
feel free to send me an email if you have any questions.
i'm cramming for finals but will try to reply asap

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 02:07:34 PM »

I'm touring the SMU campus "self guided".  Thats why I was wondering if there is anything I should make sure to see while there.  I am from a town about 30 minutes from dallas, so I'm semi-familiar with the area, just not the law school. Just wondering if there was anything unique about SMU I should be sure to see while visiting, since I wont be with an admissions guide to ask...

Well the four main law school buildings are Florence Hall (where the classrooms are), Underwood Library (library, big class rooms, and the common area), Carr Collins (admin offices & restaurant), and Storey Hall (law review offices, professor offices, and dean suites). As far as the main campus, I only spend time at the student rec center so you might want to check that out if you like playing basketball and working out. Definitely check out the inside of the library to see where the computer lab is and the study areas (don't worry about checking in if you don't want to, the circulation desk will assume that you are a student). Other than that, there is nothing else I can recommend besides just talking with current students to see if you like the vibe.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 02:10:58 PM »
SMU, where ARE you? My rent is going to the month-to-month rate of $950 starting May 1st!!! If I'm going to be staying in Dallas I'd REALLY like to know so I can re-sign my lease at a much cheaper rate or get the heck outta there...

Don't take this as gospel, but I think the school is anticipating its last round of admission decisions after this Friday's Admitted Student's Day. By then, the school should have a better idea of who will actually attend, but it will be contingent on the outstanding offers. I'm not sure when the next deposit deadline is due, but that should be the time when you will hear something (hopefully not a wait list, I know how much those suck).

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »

Don't take this as gospel, but I think the school is anticipating its last round of admission decisions after this Friday's Admitted Student's Day. By then, the school should have a better idea of who will actually attend, but it will be contingent on the outstanding offers. I'm not sure when the next deposit deadline is due, but that should be the time when you will hear something (hopefully not a wait list, I know how much those suck).

I hope you're right on this... I'll be on vacation tomorrow thru the 27th and it'd be great if I came home to some good news~!

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »
we have another admitted students day tomorrow.
anyone going?
i have a contracts review at 12:30 but will be grabbing a burger with everyone at noon