Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SMU Class of 2011 (& Facebook Grp)  (Read 8629 times)

KD03

• Sr. Citizen
  • ?
    • View Profile
SMU Class of 2011 (& Facebook Grp)
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »

thedude08

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SMU Class of 2011 (& Facebook Grp)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »
Haven't totally made up my mind yet, but there's a good chance I'll be down Dallas way in the fall.

raider1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »
DIDDO ABOUT THE DECISION! STILL WAITING... :-[

thedude08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
Hm. I thought the seat deposit had to be in by April 4th.  That's when I put mine in at least. Regardless, I have my seat saved.

thedude08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »
Ah, you may be right. I think that April 1st deadline was for accepting scholarship offers.

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
My deposit was on the 4th.

I am already in Dallas so if anyone has any questions about the area I can probably help.

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) is the light rail/bus system for the city of Dallas. By most accounts it is pretty decent as far as public transportation goes. I have ridden the train a couple of times and it seems to be a pretty good option if your beginning and your destination are close enough to stations. Mockingbird station is about a mile from SMU so it is doable if you have a bike or just like to walk. The city is in the middle of a huge expansion project for the rail system that will make it possible to get to almost every major area (including both airports) in the city by 2013. They will start opening new stations next year in Deep Ellum (an older bar district). Below is a link to the train map as it stands now as well as the expansion. Even with all the improvement, I canít imagine getting around the city without a car but many stations do have a park and ride option. 

http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/expansionmaps.asp

thedude08

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »
So I'm starting to look at places to live in Dallas.  I want to be close to campus, and I'd like to live some place that's kinda nice.  I'd also like to be near night life and the bar scene, if possible, for convenience, etc...

Anyways, the Post apartments down in Uptown seem pretty nice.  I've been to Dallas on more than one occasion, and that area is pretty awesome.  If anyone has any knowledge about these complexes, or anything around SMU that would fit said descriptions, I would love the input.

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:14:32 PM »
I'm visiting SMU on Thursday, the 24th.  Anything in particular I should tour/visit while there?  Admissions office apparently isnt doing tours until after April 30so when they have decisions out. Thanks.
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
So I'm starting to look at places to live in Dallas.  I want to be close to campus, and I'd like to live some place that's kinda nice.  I'd also like to be near night life and the bar scene, if possible, for convenience, etc...

Anyways, the Post apartments down in Uptown seem pretty nice.  I've been to Dallas on more than one occasion, and that area is pretty awesome.  If anyone has any knowledge about these complexes, or anything around SMU that would fit said descriptions, I would love the input.

If you can afford it, Uptown or the West End is really the place to be. They are close to campus and are the IT spots in Dallas as far as the social scene goes. I live in a loft in Deep Ellum. 10 years ago it was the place to be but has become a little run down. The area is making a comeback and there are still a ton of bars, art galleries, and great restaurants but it will probably be a few years (if ever) for it to regain its former glory. Itís definitely less pretentious than the other two areas.

Iím sorry I donít know anything about specific complexes. Iím buying a house for school. I would definitely check Craigslist. If you can stand having a roommate there are almost always houses or condos for rent near the campus. More will open up as the summer approaches. Stay away from anything near the airports or anything south of I-30.